Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

Religion Thread

+12
Packie
Katls
:)kiwi(:
Jonny
Gorgro
someguy3657
D-Munny
SQUIGGLES
Ziggles
Hollyღ
Top Hat Zebra
Taiju
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

76Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:17 am

Katls

Katls

Top Hat Zebra wrote:Honestly, no offence, but that's ridiculous.

You would slaughter thousands of people simply because some god told you to?

God, obviously, has proven that he can wipe out anyone he wants to. Anyone at all. If he wants the Islamic faith dead, he can do it his damn self.)
That was part of the point of that post.
No major castrophes during the Crusaides other than what the Crusader brought with them.
And I would. I would have no problem killing and dieing for my god Zebra.
If you aren't willing to fight and die for your faith, than what faith do you have?

77Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:30 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

That's a dangerous thought. Even if your faith is right, even if you're faith is the only true faith, there will always be those who won't believe that, and chances are, they're the ones who you'll be killing. And they, and all of their families won't see you as a great warrior for God.
They'll see you as a monster.

Last edited by Dewmann on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

78Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:27 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Love thy neighbour, as long as he's not worshipping any other gods.

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

79Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:22 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

Katls wrote: I would have no problem killing and dieing for my god Zebra.
If you aren't willing to fight and die for your faith, than what faith do you have?

Okay, frankly I think you're going quite quickly into creepy psychopath territory now. You're not just talking about defending faith- you're talking about cold-blooded murder here. And for what? Upholding an idea? A belief? I understand the sentiment but murder is a decidedly ill-advised way of expressing or defending it.

80Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:49 am

someguy3657

someguy3657

I seriously doubt God would come to me and say ''Hey, Charles, go kill some people.''

81Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

someguy3657 wrote:I seriously doubt God would come to me and say ''Hey, Charles, go kill some people.''

According to history/ the Bible, he's done it before...

82Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:53 pm

No offence to top hat, but when did you ever sit and read the bible? I know you haven't so stop quoting it like you know for a fact what it says. Not saying it DOESN'T say those things, I'm not sure. But I am sure you don't know for a fact.

83Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

What about the whole "Abraham" thing?

Or the Crusades?

84Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Katls

Katls

The Crusades where NOT started by a mandate from God. It was started by the pope for politcial reasons.
But Zebra does have a point.
@Dew and it's the same thing with the radicals otehr in the Middle East. I think they're monsters, but they belive that they are following Allah's mandate.
And Jonny, it wouldn't be murder for me, it'd be exicution.

Last edited by Katls on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

85Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

But the people believed they were killing for God.

86Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Katls

Katls

Yes, and I respect THAT part of the FIRST Crusade(I'll go into this later). But that was a poor example of times that God gave the command to kill someone because it's NOT a order from God.

87Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

Katls wrote:@Dew and it's the same thing with the radicals otehr in the Middle East. I think they're monsters, but they belive that they are following Allah's mandate.

So when they fight and kill for God, they're monsters, but if you were to fight and kill for God, you wouldn't be?

88Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Im sorry, but if anything told me to go off to some strange land and kill a bunch of innocent people, I'd do everything in my power to punch that thing in the balls.

If that weren't possible, I would ignore it.

You know what would be an awesome Bible story? God telling a guy to kill someone, and the guy just straight up telling God ," NO."

And then God giving that guy a medal or something, for passing the test.

89Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:35 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

That was sort of what happened with Abraham and Isaac.

"WAIT, WAIT BRO! I WAS JUST KIDDING! YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL HIM!"

90Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:37 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

If I believe Ahura Mazda has sanctioned me to kill people and then I go off and start stabbing people in the throat, does that make Ahura Mazda evil? No, it just means I'd be a prick. Even if it did speak to me personally and tell me to kill people, there's no way that can be called a good or evil act. The will of gods is too enormous for human beings to comprehend. They would have the ability to see everything ever, perhaps the death of some small, pathetic humans influences the future in a largely positive way.

91Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Dewmann wrote:That was sort of what happened with Abraham and Isaac.

"WAIT, WAIT BRO! I WAS JUST KIDDING! YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL HIM!"

God: I command you to go to the Holy Land and slaughter every man, woman, and child.

Guy: What? That's like.... That's pretty fucked up, God. Why?

God: Because I said so.

Guy: Oh.... Well, uh, no.

God: What?

Guy: I said no. That totally a dickish thing to do, God. Im gonna pass on this one.

God: Well good. You pass the test.

Guy: Ok. Well.... What if I HAD gone to the Holy lands and killed everyone?

God:...

@Semi: So, say... Killing a 3 year old girl would have prevented 9-11.

Would you have walked up and slit that little girl's throat?

Perhaps. But that wouldn't have made that a good deed. That's still an evil thing to do.

92Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:50 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

I definitely would have killed the girl. It's a simple thing.

1 life < 1000 lives
We are but ants to a god, why would it have to have a code of morals for dealing with ants?

93Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Because we're not ants.

We entrust our lives to that god, and our souls. And it apparently doesn't take it's job seriously.

Therefore, it does not have my respect, nor my love.

Also, I agree. I would have killed the girl. It would have been the correct thing to do.

Still evil, though. I mean, it's not like protecting your family from a mugger, or something. This little girl is innocent, never done anything wrong. But, for the good of others, she will be killed.

94Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

Katls wrote:And Jonny, it wouldn't be murder for me, it'd be exicution.

That's just irrelevant semantics. "I didn't murder these people, your honour! No! It was execution, you see!"

Calling it a different name doesn't make it any better. It doesn't matter what you think of it: what matters is how your actions adhere, or otherwise, to the law.

95Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Packie

Packie

Religion Thread - Page 4 Planche_bd_9097_IDEES%20NOIRES

96Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:10 am

someguy3657

someguy3657

I'll translate that for all of you:

(first panel) The law is formal: any person who deliberatly kills another will have his head cut off. The executioner can now do his office.

(second panel) Over here, my friend.

(fifth panel) There. A good deed done.

(last panel) Sorry, but the law is formal: any person who deliberatly kills another...

@Zebra: You seem to have gotten a few things wrong. God never ordered the Crusades, and the whole Abraham thing was to test his faith. He wasn't really going to let him kill his son.

As for me, if God ordered me to kill someone, I'd need a good reason to. If killing those people will protect my family, my country and my faith, then I will do it. If it's just to kill so I can kill someone, that order ain't coming from God, and I ain't doing it.

97Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I thought the pope was supposed to speak with the voice of God. And they're the ones that demanded all the crusadin', didn't they?

But no, crusades happened after the Bible was written, they went pretty badly for the crusaders and are generally frowned upon by today's society (or just not in line with your own particular belief system). So lol no guys, that particular pope was just crazy.
Serial killers who believe God told them to kill also get locked up for a very long time because they're fucking insane.
But any commands to kill the crap out of non-believers that are actually in the bible though, totally righteous and fine guys, no problems here!

When it's Muslim extremists, everyone agrees they're monsters, but when it's your own religion you don't? That's a ridiculous, scary and really dangerous double standard.

98Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:01 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

So wait, what's the point that we're discussing here? I'm lost.

Thanks for the translation on the picture, Someguy.

99Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:11 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Right now, it appears to be the ethics of killing in the name of religion.

100Religion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Religion Thread Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 am

someguy3657

someguy3657

Well, people who kill and hate in the name of religion are mostly extremists and bigots.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

-John 13:34-35

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum