Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

Religion Thread

+12
Packie
Katls
:)kiwi(:
Jonny
Gorgro
someguy3657
D-Munny
SQUIGGLES
Ziggles
Hollyღ
Top Hat Zebra
Taiju
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:36 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

Well, there are people like me who look at those rules and say "lolnope" and are pretty much all but actual atheists/agnostics. I believe a little bit of what the bible says, but the rest of my beliefs are largely summed up with "minimize douchebaggery."

I think that religious people shouldn't just look at something out of the Bible/Torah/Quar'ran/etc. and say "well it's in here, so we should probably listen to it," but they should instead look at it, and think "Alright why does God want me to do/not do this?" If they can't find any reasons other than "Because He says so," then they should disregard it, but if they can find some rational reasons that would make sense to most people regardless of their beliefs, then by all means, take it to heart.

52Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 am

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Which is the point.

I will never, nor have I ever, said the Bible is bad. It has quite a few good lessons in there.

But it has a bunch of pretty shitty stuff in there, too. Shitty stuff that is passed off as the right thing to do. (That whole daughter thing, earlier.)

53Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

Well, thankfully, it seems only the more devout people remember the really fucked up stuff like how some dude named Lot had sex with his daughters when they got him drunk, and God was like "Yeah sure, do that."

54Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I think the bible (and any other 'holy' books) should only be viewed as an ancient work of fiction, same as any other book. People can still get some sort of lesson from it if it comforts them in some way, but I think most people are more than capable of making their own decisions without the aid of a 1000+ year old manuscript. (That, as you said, is full of some really weird stuff that most people are thankfully already ignoring)

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

55Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:20 am

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Yeah.

Unforutunatly, I've met a few people who I've had this disscussion with, and they said if there was no god, they would just go on a crazy killing spree, and love tenderly and murder and pillage their way across the land.

People are dicks.

56Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Religion discussion? Goodness. Top hat can argue about that all day, I know I've done it. I tend to stay out of those, we believe what we do and it's nobody's place to tell us what we can or can't believe or do what we want. Like homosexuality for example, I'm a Christian, but one of my best friends is homosexual and he is a christian also. Religion can't stop you from being who you are, but I don't believe God judges you for it either.

57Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Oh, but religion CAn stop you from being who you want to be, if you let it.

Which far too many people do.

(Also, woah! Keighla in the religion thread!?!?! BLASHPEMOUS!)

58Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes I know, it's against MY religion (lame joke), but yes far too many people let religion decide what they can or can't do. With me, you wouldn't know what my religion is unless I told you. I don't shove religion down people's throat or let it decide my actions.

59Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

It's Bronyism, isn't it?

I KNEW I COULD CONVERT YOU!

60Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Hah your funny. I still don't watch it. BUT! I asked my mom about your plushie. AND AND! Don't bring it up to your dad, but imma get my mom to talk to your dad about you maybe comin to see me in phoenix, assuming your dad will allow it?

61Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

He'd better.

I've never been to Arizona before. I here it's warm there.

62Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:18 pm

But don't bring it up to him yet. My mom will take care of that.

63Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Anyway, what are you doing in the Serious fourm?

I think you're supposed to be in the silly forum. It's where all the cool kids hanf out.

64Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:21 pm

I can chill with anyone bro!

65Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

Kiwis are cool like that.

66Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

They taste good too.

Oh gods did I just say that?

67Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:38 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

Here's a question posed by Homer Simpson.

Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that He Himself could not eat it?

68Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Nope, Jesus was just a man.

God, on the other hand... Who knows. That just goes to show that we can't possibly understand a divine creator, since he doesn't have to follow his own rules.

69Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

I like you Kiwi, you're a good fruit :3

70Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 am

Haha top hat that was awkward! And thank you Rare ^.^

71Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 am

Katls

Katls

When the flip did this thread pop up?

Top Hat Zebra wrote:Because it's religion, and who has simple conversations about religion?

Muslim: Hello Christian.

Christian: Uh, hello Muslim.

*Both akwardly stare at each other...*

Christian: Well, uh, Im just gonna-

Muslim: HEY! REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU INVADED MY HOMELAND AND SLAUGHTERED A BUNCH OF MY PEOPLE? HAHA, GOOD TIMES. GOOD TIMES.

- Average conversation about religion.
Yeaaaaah.... that.
I could go on for hours about the Crusades. I could go on for hours about how Pope Uther(dang it, where's your 7th grade textbook when you need one?) was a monster for convicing that God wanted the Christains to fight the Muslums(for his political gain). Such a cause should not be taken lightly. When God declares war on an entire people, said people do not get off lightly, in both God's actions and his follower's actions.
Proof that he didn't want that to happen: There where little to none even acendents that could be consitered an "Act of God" during this time period in Muslum owned territory. No major consatrphies other than what the Crudsaders left in their wake.
The only redeeming part of these wars is that at least with the First Crudsades all of the Christains thought that they where fighting for their God, fighting for faith, and if this was what God wanted I wouldn't feel the smallest bit of remose fighting in that war either, me being a huge "equal treatment to all races and sexs" person. But I'd fight purely for that reason.
I'm done with thsi rant for now, the bus will be comeing soon.

72Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Honestly, no offence, but that's ridiculous.

You would slaughter thousands of people simply because some god told you to?

God, obviously, has proven that he can wipe out anyone he wants to. Anyone at all. If he wants the Islamic faith dead, he can do it his damn self.)

73Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:29 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

I think Katls is speaking from a different perspective, one that is far more devout and literalist than modern Christians. Your point remains, though.

Also, LICD is doing a "Moments from the Bible" feature. For those unfamiliar with LICD it's often pretty NSFW so be warned. At other times it's pretty vanilla and intelligent, though.

Religion Thread - Page 3 20120409

74Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

I am going to throw in my two cents about something I feel should change in this thread; spoiled in case you think the thread is fine already or you think I'm stepping out of line and don't want to read it.

Spoiler:

SEMICOLON uses KILL DISCUSSION!
It's super effective!

Sigh.

75Religion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Religion Thread Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

Hey Rare/Ziggy!

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/byodo-in-temple.html

http://www.nechung.org/

Come to the islands.

We have temples!