Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Serious » Film Thread

Film Thread

+26
kenerdthetontoe
Katls
AwesomeMedic
TheSulkingWolf
Travelcube
Jubedy
A Sinister Speaker
Ziggles
someguy3657
Bowen
Sunny
Packie
Tasha the Silly Panda
KitaraRayne
Nitehoot
Samiam
D-Munny
JT_the_Ninja
Angua
Jonny
Messernacht
Tacoline
Hollyღ
Tuomey
Gorgro
AJ
30 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 40]

1Film Thread Empty The Film Thread Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:09 am

AJ

AJ

Welcome to AJ's film thread.

This is a thread, placed upon the serious section, in which we can discuss films, or simply yell at everyone how much you want to take the dvd of your favourite film, and rub it over your naughty places. But most importantly, you're going to tell them why it is, that this film has the attraction that makes you want to make babies with it.

Equally, you might have been to the cinema, or had a movie night with friends and seen a terrible, awful film that not only made you want to throw your popcorn and other wasteful items at the screen, but also repeatedly vomit into your best friends lap because it was so vile, disgusting and upsetting, or simply because Sandra Bullock was in it.

The only rules are PLEASE, PLEASE don't ruin the film for others and take the assumption other people won't have seen your film. USE spoilers if you REALLY HAVE to talk about a certain section, so as not to ruin it. Give a brief intoduction and overview of the film without ruining watching the film for others. The idea of this thread is to share your film experiences and encourage others to watch a film you think is worth a good watch.

To start us off, I'm going to talk about Life is Beautiful (La vita è bella) which is an italien film released in 1997, with an English dubbed version being released in 1999. The film is directed by little know italien Roberto Benigni who not only wrote, but acted and starred in the film. The film follows an Jewish Italien in the time of the second world war. This is one of the most powerful, beautiful and sad films I have ever seen. It is honoured with an overwhelming level of critical acclaim, which will lift your spirits and capture your hearts. I highly recommend you watch it!

https://facebook.com/AJKemp

2Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:26 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I saw Dr. Strangelove(or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) a while ago, it was pretty entertaining. The ending is quite abrupt, but if you're up to speed with what the movie is about, it won't bother you much.
The movie itself is about an army commander who decides to start a nuclear war with Russia on his own, because of motives only vaguely explained in the film, but you'll understand why if you read between the lines.

It was supposed to be a serious drama, but Kubrick decided to turn some characters basically into caricatures and added the titular Dr. Strangelove. It plays on the cold war tension between nations and switches between what is going on at the commander's military base, at the war room with the president and in the confined world of a single bomber crew. (Fun Fact: they had to improvise what the inside of a bomber looked like and when the film came out, the government thought they somehow gotten hold of classified documents, it was that accurate.)

It's all black and white, but that didn't really bother me. I'd say it's a classic you have to see at least once in your life.

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

3Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:20 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Just finished watching Grave of the Fireflies. It tells the story of a young teenage Japanese boy who loses everything because of the war and it is the saddest movie ever. If you're prone to empathising with main characters a lot, you will likely cry. The way the story is told and drawn (it's an animated movie) is just beautiful and the music really adds to the sadness in some scenes. Despite it's sadness, it's a nice film, even if you're not really a fan of the anime-like style.
It will leave you with a feeling of both sadness and happiness for the main character because of it's ending (or actually, it's beginning). I'm not going to say it turns out fine, but you'll have to see it to know what i mean.

I think the fact that it's animated is somewhat of a plus because else it would just be 'too real' and even more sad.

4Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:30 am

Tuomey

Tuomey
King Under The Bridge

......dammit guys, your making me feel stupid and uncultured.
..Not many people can do that, actually. Nice work, I guess?

...I wanted to post about how 28 Days Later is awesome and so is Hot Fuzz.
T_\\

Also; don't watch Vacancy.
It sucks so hard it is close to destroying all other movies from the vacuum created by the superheavy amount of bullcrap that it is.

5Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:11 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Recently seen Sin Nombre (made in 2009) due to my Cousin having to watch it for his art class. It's about this young and curious woman "Sayra" traveling to America with her father as they look for the promise of the 'American Dream'. They find themselves mixed with the Mexican Gang, and one of the members joins them in an attempt to flee from the crimes he's done.

It's actually really food for a foreign film (Spanish) I'd recommend it to those who are interested in a foreign movie and also like learning little history lessons. By the way, Sin Nombre means "Nameless" or "Without a name".

6Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Tacoline

Tacoline

i'm on the same page as 2me
i see a movie and then i forget most of it. just whether i liked it or not. XD

7Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 am

Messernacht

Messernacht

AJ wrote:To start us off, I'm going to talk about Life is Beautiful (La vita è bella) which is an italien film released in 1997, with an English dubbed version being released in 1999. The film is directed by little know italien Roberto Benigni who not only wrote, but acted and starred in the film. The film follows an Jewish Italien in the time of the second world war. This is one of the most powerful, beautiful and sad films I have ever seen. It is honoured with an overwhelming level of critical acclaim, which will lift your spirits and capture your hearts. I highly recommend you watch it!

AJ, I watched 'Life Is Beautiful' last year as a source for an essay I was writing. I completely loved it, and honestly had a tear in my eye for the last few minutes of the movie. Wonderful film, and well worth watching.

8Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

Gorgro wrote:Just finished watching Grave of the Fireflies. It tells the story of a young teenage Japanese boy who loses everything because of the war and it is the saddest movie ever. If you're prone to empathising with main characters a lot, you will likely cry. The way the story is told and drawn (it's an animated movie) is just beautiful and the music really adds to the sadness in some scenes. Despite it's sadness, it's a nice film, even if you're not really a fan of the anime-like style.
It will leave you with a feeling of both sadness and happiness for the main character because of it's ending (or actually, it's beginning). I'm not going to say it turns out fine, but you'll have to see it to know what i mean.

I think the fact that it's animated is somewhat of a plus because else it would just be 'too real' and even more sad.

Ah, that's a Studio Ghibli film! I must see it at some point though I was put off by it's obvious sadness. Now that I know there is some hope, though, I will look at it at some point.

I've gotten into Studio Ghibli a lot recently. About a month back I bought Princess Mononoke (A good film, but LONG) and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which is the best anime I have seen, after Spirited Away. Seriously, go and see Spirited Away. It is transcendant.

9Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I didn't want to watch it at first either, but it got some good reviews and i can actually quite appreciate sad movies, if they're done right. A feat only 2 movies i've seen have ever achieved, this one and the Green Mile. This one is by far the best, and the saddest of the two.

10Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

I've found a website that lists some of the best scientific films of the past years. It looks pretty interesting and there are numerous movies mentioned I'm considering downloading.

Exert;

A decade into the 21st Century and we have arrived at the future. The promise of Tomorrow. But instead we have looming energy crises, endless middle east conflict and more disappointing, we have no flying cars, Heck, for all the bright and clean future promised in 2001: A Space Odyssey, none of the real companies used as brands in the film even exist anymore. Even moving from the late 1960s to the mid 1980s, nobody makes DeLoreans (although they occasionally sell on Ebay), but cloning and tablet computing (as promised by Star Trek: The Next Generation) have more or less come to pass in this century. It is not the gizmos or the distopian aesthetics, that have brought Science Fiction into the new millennium, but the questions it asks of people or society in a future time or place and how they reflect on our own times. There have been a surprising number of excellent science fiction films to come about in the past decade that do this and do this well. After the 80s and 90s were more or less defined as CGI test-beds and blockbuster multiplex fodder, it is nice to see we are in a bit of a high point for lovers of ‘harder,’ ambitious science fiction. The films that tackle ideas in a significant and sophisticated way has actually risen dramatically even as cheap digital effects and mega-budgeted even pictures have also increased the the number of bad films that are bad fantasy with science fiction trappings. If it seems there are fewer smart science fiction pictures out there, it is more a signal-to-noise issue than a reality.

Below are over two dozen science fiction pictures that are worth your time. Fans of their respective franchise may cry foul on the lack of Star Trek or Serenity, but really those films are about the characters and plots and not really about the loftier ideals of science fiction. In an attempt to quickly go through the list, I will offer up the general idea of the film and how it relates to the ideals of science fiction, namely exploring the consequences of the fictional part of the science in a way that it relates to the real world.

In the interest of talking about the films, it should be noted that *SPOILERS* are sprinkled through out the list.

http://www.rowthree.com/2010/05/10/brave-new-worldview-30-science-fiction-films-of-the-21st-century/

11Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:30 pm

AJ

AJ

I have seen a lot of those movies Rare, but really would like to see MOON. It's still quite expensive in a lot of shops.

I would recommend District 9 though, I loved that film so much I bought i on DVD.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is good, but I would recommend The Science of Sleep instead, I loved that movie (although not all of it is in English).

https://facebook.com/AJKemp

12Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Angua

Angua

AJ wrote:I have seen a lot of those movies Rare, but really would like to see MOON. It's still quite expensive in a lot of shops.

Moon is £5 on Amazon atm

http://twitter.com/Dickinsop

13Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:02 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Just recently got Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country on Blu-Ray to watch on my new 46" flat-screen HDTV...still not as good as Wrath of Khan, but an excellent movie nonetheless. []

http://www.jttheninja.com

14Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:12 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I so want to see Wrath of Khan, but i can't find it anywhere.

KHAAAAAAAAAN!

15Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:52 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

It's on DVD practically everywhere here...maybe not in your country, I guess...[]

16Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:29 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

This country has a strict no-awesome policy.

17Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:45 am

Angua

Angua

Is it as strict as my no mingers policy?

http://twitter.com/Dickinsop

18Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:00 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Not as strict as my no hoodwinking policy.

19Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:00 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

What about the no loafing policy in Strongbadia? []

20Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Here's another article, similar to the last one I posted, but with the top 25 animated films.

"Animated movies can do everything live action movies can do -- make us laugh, make us cry, make us go agape at the sheer wonder of it all.

Actually, they can do all those things better than live action movies can, sometimes -- because they're drawn, which makes them that much more, you know, impressive. Check out these 25 awesome animated treats and see if you don't agree.
-- By Glenn Kenny"

I'm in disagreement with half of the stuff on their list thought. Simpson's movie? Really? :l

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2008/06/02/best-animated-movies/

At least Princess Mononoke is on there.

Speaking of animated movies, someone here mentioned Girl who Lept through Time, which I have to agree is one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. 5 CM per second is also a very romance, and don't let the fact it's a romance prevent you from watching it.

21Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

On the topic of animated movies, I have not seen Toy Story 3 yet, but I have in fact heard from several guys who are quick to prove themselves manyl that it really moved them. Either every single one of them was trying to be funny, or I really need to see that movie.

22Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

I've heard nothing but good reviews for Toy Story 3, and I know I loved the first two, so I am going to see the third. Not ashamed to admit I love kids movies like this.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-toy-story-3-easter-eggs.html

Very interesting article about Toy story 3 ^

I also know of some references they didn't mention, such as numerous Wall-E references.

23Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Samiam

Samiam

Toy story 3 made over 100 MILLION in its first week. that puts it in a very small group of movies.

24Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

How much did Avatar make again? *Wants to compare numbers*

25Film Thread Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:20 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

>2,000,000,000

THAT'S ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY AN AIRPLANE AND A FIRETRUCK!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 40]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

» Serious » Film Thread

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum