Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

TTBM #4? 5? I don't even-

+14
Bowen
Hollyღ
Packie
Messernacht
Tacoline
Gorgro
Jonny
Tuomey
D-Munny
Travelcube
JT_the_Ninja
Samiam
AwesomeMedic
someguy3657
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 40]

476TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Messernacht

Messernacht

TTBM (Because it's all over and now I've got nothing left to do): For the past 10 months, as some of you have been aware, I have been working for a conference called the Asia-Pacific Model United Nations Conference (AMUNC). This conference has been held in July every year for the past 17 years, and I’ve been going along since 2006. This time, I was asked to join the Secretariat in order to help run said conference. I won’t go into the details of my portfolio, aside from the fact that it involved three elements:

1. Ensure the seventeen committees of the conference operated smoothly
2. Run the first-ever Intelligence ‘Spy’ Committee to be held at an AMUNC conference
3. Generate emergency scenarios for the various committees

‘The Conference’ has now concluded, and I can take you through the occurrence and events along the way. There will be laughter, there will be anger, but most of all, there will be hilarity.

Oh, and alcohol.

T – Day Four

This mostly involved flying down from Brisbane to Canberra. This was made better by the fact that one of the gentlemen I was working with was on the same flight. We were met at the airport (first time I’ve been met at the airport for 18 months), and were taken to where a bunch of us were staying, a rather flash apartment right near the lake, and less than a 15 minute walk to the university where the conference was being held. With there being not much else to be done, we all called it a night, after we discovered that Canberra recently passed a bylaw prohibiting the sale of bottles of spirits after 2300.

T – Day Three

This was a day for organising. There were two main venues for the conference; the Australian National University (ANU) and the High Court of Australia (HCA). Today was all about ANU; setting up the tables, ensuring that all the venues were ready, sorting out 600 satchel bags for the attendees (delegates). We took some time to go to the supermarket though, and stock up with food, moderate quality alcohol, and high-quality spirits. Some of those bottles were belted into the trolley with the love and care one would exhibit towards a child. Then, it was back for dinner and for sleep.

T – Day Two

Same at before, only this time at the High Court of Australia, the highest legal body in the Australian Commonwealth. More heavy lifting and riding in elevators. Fun though; not many people have been into the areas of the HCA that we go to go into, fewer still have been into the corridors and passages beneath the building, and even less have been there who were Kiwis. Epic win. Managed to get along very well with the lady who was liaising between us and the HCA (always pays to have those sort of contacts). Then it was sleep, to prepare for the next massive day.

T – Day One (Director Training)

This was going to be a big one. This was the day where all the people who were going to be directing the various committees were briefed on the week ahead and how best to deal with various situations. This was also an interesting one for me. Remember months back, at the start of the year, when I was going out with a girl who was being constantly pursued by some cowboy SAS wannabee? Well, said cowboy was going to be directing one of the committees.

Yup. Exactly.

So the training went well. Met the chap, and was proven right in every facet. Dude turned up when the dress code had been set as ‘business’ in a white ten-gallon hat, jeans and a big Texas buckle. Now, I’m sorry, but there’s only one place where you can wear a big Texas buckle, and that’s the continental United States. Nowhere else. The guy made his introductions, and then proceeded to rattle off some story about “When I was on the ground in Egypt...” Apparently, he saw a chap with an Oakley backpack claiming to be part of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. “Yeah, sure, he was involved in Foreign Affairs, if you get what I mean...huh huh huh.” Yeah, alright mate, you saw a dude who visited an army surplus store. Cool story. I decided not to mention anything about last year (You guys remember where I was, what I was studying, and who with, so yeah).

Then it was sleep-time, for the next day was going to be the big one.

DAY ONE – DELEGATE REGISTRATION AND TRAINING

This was it, the first official day of the conference. We’d spent ten months putting this thing together; sacrificing sleep, jobs, time and more. And now it was time to see whether it flew or fell.

The first thing we failed to take into account was the amount of new people. Which meant that we had to run an extra two sessions in order to bring them up to speed on what the rules were and how best to work in this sort of environment. Which meant that I ended up rattling on for the better part of four hours non-stop about Rules of Procedure, how to create a Resolution, and how easy it really was once you got a handle on what was going on.

Then, once the delegate wandered off to the Ambassador Speakers Panels (where some of the ambassadors from various countries came to speak to the delegates in an open forum setting), we were packing up all the stuff. When suddenly, a member of the Secretariat screeches up in her car and yells to me “Quick! Get in!” So I dive into the car and we screech off, while the conversation goes a little like this...

“What’s going on?”
“It’s the Czech Ambassador! No one’s running that panel! Can you do it?”
*Puts on sunglasses* “Get me there.”

So we’re burning through the campus streets, when we’re forced to screech to a proper, tyre-squealing halt. Because there, standing in the middle of the road, is a duck. It’s beak open in a defiant quack, that duck refused to move. So I opened my window and politely told it to move. No response. I said, a little more forcefully, “GET THE F*CK OUT OF THE WAY, DUCK!” No response, although it scared the hell out of a group of Chinese delegates heading to the same place. A bus pulled up behind us, preventing us from reversing. So I had to get out of the vehicle, and chase the duck off the road. Which the bus driver found hilarious. Had to take a bow at that point, then get back into the car and burn off to the meeting. Lauren was highly pleased that I showed up, and the ambassador was a great chap. Stuck around for the 20 minutes he was waiting for his car to show up, and ended up chatting about various developments in the East Asia region. He handed over his card, and said that he was going to be in Wellington in December if I was about. Rather cool that.

Then it was back to the apartment for one of the Secretariat’s birthdays. This resulted in food and alcohol...lots and lots of alcohol. Ended up going to bed about midnight with the room spinning at about 20 rpm. Still, enjoyable night, which was going to be worthwhile the next day.

Day Two

Up at the crack of dawn with a slight wobble. Still, into the car and off on our way to the first official day of committees. Only to find that one of the people in my committee had lodged a complaint that he hadn’t received any material, and that he wanted a refund. Not the best way to start the day, and especially not the greatest lead-in to a job interview. The interview was for a position out west in the hills, scanning and filing. It’s work, it’s money, it’s doable. So that interview went for the better part of an hour, but which point I was pretty much wrecked after the last few days.

While this was going on, we learned that one of the chaps who had been drinking with us the night before had become very unwell at the High Court and was chundering everywhere, so had to be sent home. Critical lesson, boys and girls; never try to outdrink military people.

Nodded off in my chair during the afternoon, then dropped my stuff back at the apartment and then went out to dinner with the rest of the Secretariat. Went to a nice Japanese place. I’m a big fan of Japanese food, and this was the first time they hadn’t lobbed a fork in my direction. Who said I had poor fine motor skills. Had this wonderful beef curry thing, which broke a major rule; only eat food from that ethnicity at a restaurant. So I felt rather crook afterwards. Nevertheless, off we all went to the local Irish bar for drinks, and then home again to sleep for the next day.

More when I've written the rest...

477TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

A Sinister Speaker

Need to PM someone to rant about some things who won't mind swear words, excessive hostility towards other people, and other horrible things =D

478TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

You can rant away to me, I'm always open to a good ranting ;P

479TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:19 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

TTBM: So my parents decided to have another one of their classic screaming matches. Nothing I can't handle.

Except this was in a car, whiile I was driving, at night, on a pretty narrow road.
Thankfully, I know said road pretty well, but all of this has shown me that my parents apparently don't give two shits about disrupting the focus of a young driver.

If we had been on a busy road, I think I would have just snapped, pulled over and told them to shut the fuck up and let me drive.

480TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Dewwy, I know it's grim suggestion, but from all I've read on your situated, you need to tell someone. This is getting very dangerous, and I'm really worried for your safety here, bud.

481TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

What if it doesn't get better?

482TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Messernacht

Messernacht

Creepy Duck in Shadows wrote:Need to PM someone to rant about some things who won't mind swear words, excessive hostility towards other people, and other horrible things =D

Ranting is always good. Fire it up, duck buddy; Rare and I've got your feathery back.

483TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

@ Zigs - I dunno, feel kinda useless not being able to do anything.

@ Mess - +1 agreement :3

484TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

Well, the only real thing that bugged me here was the fact that I needed to focus. Other than that, I really didn't care.

I don't know if this makes it better, or much worse, but my parents' resentment's towards one another never lasts more than a day, and, come to think of it, neither does my irritation at their arguments. They've likely been doing this ever since they first met, so I think the absolute worst thing that could happen is divorce, and pretty much 1/2 families, goes through that nowadays so I'm fairy certain I could deal, especially since it won't be long before I go off to college. I'd certainly feel for my sister though. Annoying as she is, there's no doubt that she has issues somewhere in her head, and a divorce certainly wouldn't help matters. I'd worry for her. But like I said, divorce is a worst case scenario.

About my reactions to the arguments; up to a little less than a year ago, there would be times where they got so intense, mildly violent in some cases, that when I was up in my room trying to block it all out and get some sleep, I would sometimes end up crying, but that doesn't happen anymore, and even when it did, I'd feel better after talking with friends at school. You could say that by now, I'm used to this.

Like I said, I don't know if this is a relief or even more of a worry, but no matter what it is, talking with somebody would liekly be a very wise thing to do. i always thought that whenever I posted something about my parents, I came off as a typical whiny 15 year old, (That's probably half of it though)

I really do appreciate all of the concern though. There's no chance in hell that I'll go off the deep end as long as I know you guys are around.

485TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Yeah, I'm pretty sure as long as the forum is up, we aren't going anywhere. <33

TTBM - When I was younger, I had seizures. The doctors never found out why, but one of my seizures was so bad, I was hospitalized for nearly a week. Since then, my memory has been shot, and I have twitches in my head and arms randomly. It's embarrassing, because I can't control them, and they end up hurting if they go on for to long. My head is currently twitching to my right. I feel so self-conscious when this happens ... my friends understand, but people in the general public like to stare and point. It hurts, you know? They act like it's contagious.

486TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

All my nightmares are about my dad's death. He threatened to kill himself in front of his entire family once or twice... god fucking damn ass clinical depression bullshit.

487TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:22 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

See, now you guys are making me feel like a bitcher (that's the term right? Or is it just bitch?) for making it out like I had bad problems.

Naww, but seriously, you guys are actually a reason as to why I'm not phased much by my parents' antics. All of you have gone through way more hardships that I have, and still keep moving forward, so I should too.
YOU GUYS ARE MY INSPIRATION. YOU MUST FEEL REALLY HAPPY.

488TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

Oh, Dewmann. I feel like most of those things are in the past. I really care more about your problems. I feel for you because when my parents or siblings used to fight, or my siblings would start to get physical, I'd start crying too. Oddly enough that generally caused a period of calm. Nobody likes to see their baby sister in pain.
But yeah, I am happy. Much of the time, really. I'd like you to be happy as well.

489TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:40 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

Well, right now, I'm taking it easy after helping out at the beginner's class before getting a workout of my own along with the rest of us black belts at the dojang, and am now taking it easy while listening and singing along to "Let's go Sunning"
I'd say I am pretty happy at the moment. I really hope that we all.

Life's worth livin'
When nature's givin'
Happiness to everyone
So let's gooo sunnin'

490TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

It's so good for youuu

491TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Messernacht

Messernacht

TTBM: Damn electric razor took too much off my beard. Now instead of looking dashing and suave, I look like some young rapscallion. And I've got a wedding to go to on Saturday.

492TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am

Tuomey

Tuomey
King Under The Bridge

Rare wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure as long as the forum is up, we aren't going anywhere. <33

TTBM - When I was younger, I had seizures. The doctors never found out why, but one of my seizures was so bad, I was hospitalized for nearly a week. Since then, my memory has been shot, and I have twitches in my head and arms randomly. It's embarrassing, because I can't control them, and they end up hurting if they go on for to long. My head is currently twitching to my right. I feel so self-conscious when this happens ... my friends understand, but people in the general public like to stare and point. It hurts, you know? They act like it's contagious.

Fuck those people.
If I was there I would punch those people.
It's just an extension of the "things I don't understand are SCARY" mentality.
Those people are idiots.
By the time a person reaches twelve they should know not to do things like this.

EDIT: Seriously, fuck these people. If we happen to somehow be hanging out at some point and this happens I will go over to one of these people, verbally challenge them about their douchetardedness and if they persist I will punch them.

493TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:31 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Thanks, 2me :3

Last edited by Rare on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

494TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:11 am

Messernacht

Messernacht

Cute Sparkly Hobo Wizard wrote:
Rare wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure as long as the forum is up, we aren't going anywhere. <33

Fuck those people.
If I was there I would punch those people.
It's just an extension of the "things I don't understand are SCARY" mentality.
Those people are idiots.
By the time a person reaches twelve they should know not to do things like this.

EDIT: Seriously, fuck these people. If we happen to somehow be hanging out at some point and this happens I will go over to one of these people, verbally challenge them about their douchetardedness and if they persist I will punch them.

2Me's right. People just get edgy when they don't understand stuff. Sometimes, they can really be prats about it. It's just a coping mechanism, because they don't have the guts to deal with things in a proper manner. Some people I've met along the way have had things that made them different, and they've been fantastic people. Seizures suck, m'kay, but people who are unwilling to deal with differences are worse.

495TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:39 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

TTBM - After watching Grave of the Fireflies again last night, I went onto some forums to see discussion of it ... I've never seen so many anti-American discussions over a movie.

Last edited by Rare on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

496TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

Apparently these people haven't heard about what the Japanese did to Chinese civillians and POWs during WWII.

(Please note that I am not justifying ANYTHING that anybody did in WWII right now. Just making a statement to remind people not to be biased.)

497TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:44 am

Tuomey

Tuomey
King Under The Bridge

Not even stopping the Nazis?
YOU BASTARD

(if you need it pointed out that this is a joke seek help)

498TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

Right now I am Neutral Man, the superhero who gained his power of super apathy by being bitten by a radioactive Switzerland.

499TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:48 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

You Swiss Colony! []

http://www.jttheninja.com

500TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- - Page 20 Empty Re: TTBM #4? 5? I don't even- Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:42 am

Tuomey

Tuomey
King Under The Bridge

TTBM: "Hey, it could be worse. Think about [GROUP OF LESS FORTUNATE PEOPLE]!"

Shut the fuck up.
I know these people exist.
I accept they have it harder than me.
The fact that they exist does not make my situation, your situation or anyone else's situation any better.
You reminding me of this actually makes you an unthoughtful person.
It is perfectly ok for people to feel shitty sometimes and saying "well, hey, this guy is blind" doesn't help and I will murder you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum