Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question and Answers thread.

+5
Dog Breath
Tuomey
Gorgro
Packie
Hollyღ
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

How did we get there?

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

27Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 am

Tuomey

Tuomey
King Under The Bridge

We are everywhere, for we are the Exiles who will one day emerge to take the treehouses, under-bridges and random shiny things of the world!

28Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:25 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

How very curious. Some people may also have found us through the Habbo online community. Since I rarely go on I posted the url on my web page in case my friends wanted to find me. I can take it down if you prefer.

29Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:44 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

I have no problem with new members, it's just curiosity as to how they are finding us. I mean, we aren't exactly the most well-known forum out there in the wave of forums.

30Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 am

Tuomey

Tuomey
King Under The Bridge

The forisphere: In between the Blogosphere and the clouds of message boards

31Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:37 pm

someguy3657

someguy3657

I have this windows 2000 professional, and I cant put new things on because I need an administrator password for it. My dad doesn't remember it, so it needs to be reset. However, I'd like to reset the password without having to uninstall and reinstall windows and as safely as possible.

Anyone has anything they can recommend?

32Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I only know of a way to do that for Vista or Win7. This is the link, just in case.

33Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:15 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

someguy3657 wrote:I have this windows 2000 professional, and I cant put new things on because I need an administrator password for it. My dad doesn't remember it, so it needs to be reset. However, I'd like to reset the password without having to uninstall and reinstall windows and as safely as possible.

Anyone has anything they can recommend?

Well, I have a few ideas, but a lot of them are marked void due to you not wanting to uninstall and reinstall. But lets see if I can find anything on your problem..

Edit:

LoginRecovery.com

An option is to decrypt the password and show you the actual administrator password. A great site for doing this is loginrecovery.com. Basically, you download a small program to extract the password from the computer, then you submit the encrypted password file to their site and they will recover the lost password. Of course, you need a computer with Internet access to upload the file and find the password.

With this option, the administrator password is not changed so you wont lose access to EFS encrypted files. Visit their site by clicking below

http://www.loginrecovery.com

And if that dosen't work, there is always;

http://windowspasswordforgot.com/

^ This program, although you need to pay for it, I'm sure it's available as a free download if you look.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/forgot-windows-administrator-password-ways-to-recover-and-reset-password-in-vistaxp20032knt/

and

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-reset-recover-forgotten-windows-nt-2000-xp-2003-administrator-password/

^ This website seems to be the best bet in resetting your password. The first link is a step by step in how to do it and different methods, the other link is taken from the first link and gives you simpler step by step instructions in how to rest your password.

Here are the methods the links provide, but you can click on the links to read them from the actual site yourself if you wish:

1st Method:

The first thing which you check if you forget login password. When we install Windows, it automatically creates an account "Administrator" and sets its password to blank. So if you have forget your user account password then try this:

Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.

Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel -> User Accounts".

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

2nd Method:

Windows XP and further versions also provide another method to recover forgotten password by using "Reset Disk". If you created a Password Reset Disk in past, you can use that disk to reset the password. To know more about it, please visit following links:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires

3rd Method:

If the above mentioned tricks don't work, then try following trick which is actually a loophole in Windows XP Setup and a big security hole:

A. Boot using Windows XP Setup CD and follow the instruction like Accepting EULA, etc.

B. When it asks to repair your existing Windows installation, accept it and press "R" to run the repair.

C. Setup will start repairing your Windows and will start copying files, etc.

D. After a few minutes setup will restart your system and when it restarts don't press any key when it shows "Press any key to continue..." otherwise Setup will start from the beginning. Don't press any key and setup will resume where it left.

E. Now it'll start doing other tasks and will show a small progressbar with a few details in left side.

F. Look carefully at the details and when it shows "Installing devices", press <Shift>+F10 keys in your keyboard.

G. It'll open a Command Prompt window. Now type nusrmgr.cpl and press <Enter>.

H. It'll open the same "User Accounts" window which you see in Control Panel.

I. Now you can remove or reset any account password without any problem.

4th Method:

There are many 3rd party utilities which claim to recover forgotten Windows password:

Windows Geeks Lost Forgotten Password Service:

Windows Geeks have a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten password. With this program you can get back in very quickly:

Windows Geeks Lost Forgotten Password Service

Emergency Boot CD:

EBCD is a bootable CD, intended for system recovery in the case of software or hardware faults. It is able to create backup copies of normally working system and restore system to saved state. It contains the best system software ever created, properly compiled and configured for the maximum efficient use.

You may download image builder utility which creates image of bootable CD-ROM (.ISO file), plus basic set of system tools. When the image is ready, write it to CD-R or CD-RW, and then everytime you'll need convenient and powerful system tools they'll be just at hand.

It is easy to customize the disk for your needs. You can include to CD any program you like, or remake the structure of CD completely. All you need is to change a few lines in configuration XML files.

Download Link

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor:

This is a utility to reset the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on your NT system. You do not need to know the old password to set a new one. It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppydisk or CD. It'll detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts. It is also an almost fully functional registry editor.

Download Link

Windows XP Login Recovery:

Login Recovery is a service to reveal user names and recover passwords for Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista. As long as you have physical access to the computer, your passwords can be recovered.

Download Link

Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD): [Thanks to Rakesh for recommending]

Ultimate Boot CD runs independently of any operating system. It will boot from any Intel-compatible machine, regardless of whether DOS/Windows/Linux/BeOS is installed on the machine. However, you do need an operating system and a ISO-capable CD writer software to create the Ultimate Boot CD from the downloaded ISO image file.

Download Link

5th Method:

If all fails, then simply reinstall Windows and create new accounts. To recover lost data, you can use Data recovery tools available on net but the chances will be very low to get data back.

That's all we can suggest. If you have any other method / tool, feel free to post here.

Here are more websites that seem to help;

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/lpmarticle.asp?id=305

^ This website gives steps in how to reset the password and it seems pretty straightforward and simple to do.

From the website:

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

I hope this helped you a little, if you need additional help I am willing to walk you through any of the above. I hope this helped a little!

34Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:41 am

someguy3657

someguy3657

Rare wrote:LoginRecovery.com

An option is to decrypt the password and show you the actual administrator password. A great site for doing this is loginrecovery.com. Basically, you download a small program to extract the password from the computer, then you submit the encrypted password file to their site and they will recover the lost password. Of course, you need a computer with Internet access to upload the file and find the password.

With this option, the administrator password is not changed so you wont lose access to EFS encrypted files. Visit their site by clicking below

http://www.loginrecovery.com

I'll try that, but I need a new CD first.

Anyways, thanks!

35Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

No problem!

36Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:45 pm

someguy3657

someguy3657

Well, I revived this old thread to ask another question regarding my old computer.

See, my dad's new computer is fancy and all, but not being able to go on all the time sucks a lot. We still have the old computer with Windows 2000 in it, but I recently found a (legal) Windows XP instalation disk. Deciding it would be a nice upgrade, I decided to pop it in and install it on the old computer.

Now, though, I got a few problems with it. The first being is that it's stuck in the weakest resolution with 8 colors. There is no other option but those, and I have no idea why. The second being that I can't seem to connect to the Internet. I know the IP adress of the computer, the router and the DNS thing, and I tried different setups to get it to work, but nothing happens.

tl;dr I need to know why the resolution won't change and I want to know the total noob's guide on connecting a computer to the Internet

37Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 am

AwesomeMedic

AwesomeMedic

Can I come to your house saturday?

38Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Well the problem might be that you somehow uninstalled important drivers for your hardware.

Try and find a thing called 'device manager' in the control panel, look for 'network adapters' and see what's listed there, there could be a device there that's not enabled or there could be nothing there at all. If this is the case (and you can't enable the device and get internet working again), it's probably a driver issue.

Find out what hardware is in your computer and google for their drivers using the pc that still connects to the internet, then put the .exe file on a flash drive and install it on the internet-less pc. Usually these are available on the website of the component's manufacturer. I would recommend starting with the graphics card drivers so you get the most obvious results, and doing the network card ones after.

39Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:41 am

someguy3657

someguy3657

Yeah, there we go. I'm missing a few drivers.

-ethernet controller
-multimedia audio controller
-video controller (vga compatible)

Do you guys know any good websites where I can get those?

Also, sorry, AM, I'm not there this Saturday.

40Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:59 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

There usually aren't any specific websites you can go to for those. You need to find out the name of your network card, graphics card, etc...

But if you're lucky, you can google for the brand/model of your pc plus "drivers". There's a chance you can find the whole collection that way.

41Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:09 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME THE RUN ON WEBCAMS PLEASE

Are there any particularly good webcams or particularly bad ones?
Are webcams expensive? Should I get an expensive webcam?

HOW DO WEBCAMS WORK? Will it take up any of my internet usage?
My internet is limited to, like, 8gb a month so, yeah, I don't know how this Internet shit works.

42Question and Answers thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Question and Answers thread. Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Most webcams aren't that expensive. Unless you plan on broadcasting your face in HD somehow, you'll probably be fine with some mid-range generic webcam. You can always find some reviews about a specific one if you really want to be certain.

About the internet usage, that depends. This could increase your overall (outgoing) traffic by a small amount. Compare it to watching a youtube video, but with the data traffic reversed. (ie. you're sending the video, not receiving it)
As far as I know the difference should be negligible if it's just for occasional private use.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum