Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Serious » Film Thread

Film Thread

+26
kenerdthetontoe
Katls
AwesomeMedic
TheSulkingWolf
Travelcube
Jubedy
A Sinister Speaker
Ziggles
someguy3657
Bowen
Sunny
Packie
Tasha the Silly Panda
KitaraRayne
Nitehoot
Samiam
D-Munny
JT_the_Ninja
Angua
Jonny
Messernacht
Tacoline
Hollyღ
Tuomey
Gorgro
AJ
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 37 of 40]

901Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:43 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Watched Akira and Ghost in the Shell recently because I was in an anime kind of mood. They both end in a way that leaves you to to speculate on what it as all about and how things would go on. (Akira did this the most) It reminded me of movies like 2001:A Space Odyssey (but not mind numbingly boring) and Blade Runner. Wouldn't call them the best movies I've ever seen, but they were pretty enjoyable.

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

902Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:02 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

If you like the philosophy in GitS the you'll probably like the sequel, Innocence; it's definitely up there in my top ten favourite movies. Beautiful soundtrack and art; it's easily better than the first one.

There's less action in it because it focuses more on characters and their internal conflict but there's still shooting scenes and guns pew pew pew

What's Akira like? I hear people mention it but I've never had a chance to see it.

903Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:01 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

It's a bit hard to follow and has a pretty open ending. It's mostly about how power corrupts (represented in a very anime kind of way at the end) but you can just as easily insert your own metaphors to make sense of it. This is what reminded me of Space Odyssey, it has an "ok, so what did I just watch" quality to it. You should probably just see it for the cult status alone though, that's why I did.

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

904Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:36 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

I was just listening to Sinatra earlier! I was born in the wrong era. Things were so much simpler and classier back then.

905Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:21 pm

someguy3657

someguy3657

Tower Heist was surprisingly good

906Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:38 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

You guys, I actually just watched Reservoir Dogs on Netflix...and I'm not even joking....

...there really isn't a reservoir scene...huh...just a lot of shooting and blood...and profanity...[]

http://www.jttheninja.com

907Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:28 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Reservoir Dogs is a fantastic movie. Leagues ahead of anything else Tarantino's done, in my opinion.

Has anyone seen the first three Scream movies? I saw Scream 4 when it came out, and loved it, and I want to know how the other ones compare. If they're anything like Scream 4, I might just go ahead and buy them on DVD instead of renting them first.

908Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

The thing about the Scream movies, is that you'll like the first one you see, but you won't like the others as much. It could be in any order.

909Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:27 am

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

I think I've seen all of them.

Or maybe I've not seen any of them.

It's hard to tell with Scream.

910Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Wed May 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

semicolon wrote:Reservoir Dogs is a fantastic movie. Leagues ahead of anything else Tarantino's done, in my opinion.

Has anyone seen the first three Scream movies? I saw Scream 4 when it came out, and loved it, and I want to know how the other ones compare. If they're anything like Scream 4, I might just go ahead and buy them on DVD instead of renting them first.
What. the. frig.
Scream 4 was a horrible film! Much worse than the rest of the movies. Watch the others and see how much better they are.

What I most like about the Scream movies is how they play with the tropes surrounding horror movies. You never know how they're going to use one next.

911Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 2:29 pm

AwesomeMedic

AwesomeMedic

I watched Naruto Shippuden: The Blood Prison. So much win in one movie.

912Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Naruto and Win shouldn't really be in the same post. :/

913Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

Neither should Scorpion King and win, but I still love that movie so hard anyway.

914Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

What are you talking about, The Scorpion King is the best movie ever :B

915Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

Also, I like the Doom movie, the Super Mario Bros movie, and the Fat Albert movie.

916Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Taiju

Taiju

Dewmann wrote:Also, I like the Doom movie, the Super Mario Bros movie, and the Fat Albert movie.

Wow, you must have lived a VERY sheltered life, huh?

Doom was a decent movie, but the other two were just, uugggghhhhh........

917Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 5:33 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

I was four when I saw the Super Mario Bros. movie, so my mindset was just "MARIO + MOVIE = AWESOME," and that just kind of stuck until even today.

And the Fat Albert movie, while ridiculous, had some nice scenes, like the beginning, and close to the end. I know that sounds like a snark, but the beginning really is a nice way of livening up a cartoon that normally had very static animation, and one scene near the end is a pretty touching tribute to the guy who Fat Albert was based on.

918Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Taiju

Taiju

So I just found out they're making an "Expendables II," and they're having the man himself, Chuck fucking Norris, star in it. OH GODS THIS IS GOING TO BE SO AMAZING!

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/chuck-norris-comeback-seen-expendables-2-trailer-212439078.html

919Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

I've seen, like, two Chuck Norris movies, so I'm practically an expert and you can be sure I'm talking with the wisdom of the ages when I say, without a doubt, Chuck Norris is an awful actor. He is actually probably one of the worst professional actors ever and should be put in jail for his films.

Also, hopping on the DOOM bandwagon. That was a fantastic movie.
I loved that first-person sequence near the end.

920Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Top Hat Zebra

Top Hat Zebra

semicolon wrote:I've seen, like, two Chuck Norris movies, so I'm practically an expert and you can be sure I'm talking with the wisdom of the ages when I say, without a doubt, Chuck Norris is an awful actor. He is actually probably one of the worst professional actors ever and should be put in jail for his films.

Also, hopping on the DOOM bandwagon. That was a fantastic movie.
I loved that first-person sequence near the end.

Ok, two things:

1: Doom was really not that good. Even discounting the fact that it completely ignored the game it was based off of, it was STILL not a very good movie.

2: WHAT THE FUCK NO. CHUCK NORRIS IS A GOD, AND YOU SHALL FEEL HIS DIVINE WRATH FOR SAYING SUCH HERETICAL NONSENSE.

Anyway, I had been watching My Name Is Earl for about a month. That show is hilarious, charming, witty, and it captures the life of Redneck perfectly. It's quite original, and the situations they find themselves in have never ceased to make me laugh.

Then, I got to the "end" of season four.

THE FUCK? WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

ZEBRA IS ABOUT TO GO MURDER SOME BITCHES.

921Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 am

AwesomeMedic

AwesomeMedic

Lady Rare wrote:Naruto and Win shouldn't really be in the same post. :/

The movies are better than the series.

922Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri May 04, 2012 12:42 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

What's the Naruto anime like? A friend tried to get me into it a while ago and she was going on about how great it was but it looked a lot like it has that same power-level/deus ex machina shit that Bleach has and I just cannot stand that.

Spoiler:

Same blatant shit every single time. Battles go on for, like, 80 pages and are the same crap throughout. Dragonball Z had it, but it was played off much better.

Top Hat Zebra wrote:Doom was really not that good. Even discounting the fact that it completely ignored the game it was based off of, it was STILL not a very good movie.
What didn't you like about it?

I thought it was good because it didn't try to pretend it was some higher form of film; it was just a cheesy action flick. It wasn't about mental and struggles and tribulations nor character development in the face of great peril. It was about some guys who get shipped off to a scary place with some guns and they try and shoot some shit in the dark; it does not get more complicated than that whatsoever, and I think the movie portrayed that well. The effects were decent and the acting was fine, even if The Rock is pretty much literally a rock on screen, I think he played the dumb, hulking, lawful neutral space marine role well enough. I guess I can see how other people might think he wasn't fit for the role, if there was one weak point in the movie, it was probably him. But he has such a charming smile, and really, if I was going to get shot by a dumb, hulking lawful neutral space marine I would wish it was him. I'm kind of surprised he even went for the role, really, I read that he likes acting in movies that his daughter can grow up watching -which is just the sweetest thing- and I'm pretty sure DOOM was rated R18. The soundtrack, SFX and ambience were all done great; pretty sure Clint Mansell did it and everyone fawns over him.

Really, though, that first-person sequence was amazing. It's probably one of the top twenty scenes I've seen in the last ten years. It's just such a cool concept and they did it really well and didn't overuse it. If there was any more than that one scene it would've been a drag and if there was a shorter scene it would've just been the bitchiest tease, but they got it right and they played the scene out well. If you really must say that it was a bad movie, you must at least admit that this scene was freaking sweet.

Personally, I like how it was detached from the DOOM games; people have played that story before and it was done well the way it was done. If they had've tried to put a more canon version into film it just would've felt like a boring rehash. If I wanted the DOOM story, I'd go play DOOM. They found a good balance between classic ideas and new ones. At least it didn't end up like the Dungeon Siege movies. You'd think after In The Name Of The King bombed so badly that they'd leave it at that but, nope, they made a second one.

-

Semicolon makes too many long posts.

-

IT IS DECIDED
I AM GOING TO SEE THE AVENGERS TOMORROW
SO EXCITED
I AM ACTUALLY REALLY PUMPED
THOR AND CAPTAIN AMERICA AND SCARLETT JOHANSSON AND HAWKEYE FUCKING HAWKEYE FUCK YEAH
and the other guys, but no-one likes them.
PROBABLY NOT GOING TO SLEEP TONIGHT
THAT IS HOW EXCITED I AM

923Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Chuck's just glad Bruce Lee isn't still around...

Film Thread - Page 37 1456633_o

Film Thread - Page 37 Lee-norris_o_202721

WAIT RARE WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THAT FIGHT!!!

[]

924Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri May 04, 2012 4:18 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

JT_the_Ninja wrote:

Film Thread - Page 37 Lee-norris_o_202721

WAIT RARE WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THAT FIGHT!!!

[]

Chuck Norris fears Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee fears me.

925Film Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri May 04, 2012 5:37 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

So, to complete the rock-paper-scissors, do you fear Chuck? []

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 37 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

» Serious » Film Thread

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum