Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Serious » Film Thread

Film Thread

+26
kenerdthetontoe
Katls
AwesomeMedic
TheSulkingWolf
Travelcube
Jubedy
A Sinister Speaker
Ziggles
someguy3657
Bowen
Sunny
Packie
Tasha the Silly Panda
KitaraRayne
Nitehoot
Samiam
D-Munny
JT_the_Ninja
Angua
Jonny
Messernacht
Tacoline
Hollyღ
Tuomey
Gorgro
AJ
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 40]

976Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Katls

Katls

Guys, I'm so exicted!

The Alein series(which this is a prequil of) introduced the monster that helped shape my interest in science when I was a kid. For that, I'm going to do everything in my power to convince my bro to take me to it on friday.
I'm trying to watch that trailer but for some reason it's refusing to load. Ugh.

Last edited by Katls on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

977Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

I loved Alien and Aliens but I haven't seen the other two. I saw AvP: Requiem and it put me off seeing the rest of the franchise. So Prometheus is supposed to be the prequel to the whole thing? I thought they covered the whole Alien genesis story in AlienvPredator.

Dewmann wrote:I'm pretty sure the one meant to be taken as canon is that doesn't have the narration and also doesn't have a
Spoiler:
I saw the "The Ridley Scott-approved Director's Cut (1992, 116 minutes)"
I think I might try and find a copy of the earlier and most recent versions, just to compare.

Gorgro wrote:I thought he lost all pretence of seriousness by Dead Man's Chest. There was at least some mystery and possibility to expand the character a bit in the first one, but then they just made it more and more so he'd be just the comic relief character and nothing else.
Yes, agree. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I still think in the first film he was so complex and from DMC and onwards they were mainly just using the character to pull gags. I think character development is the key to outstanding film; all the shiny effects and pretty music in the world wont change a bad film if the personae aren't fleshed-out.

978Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

Just finished watching How To Train Your Dragon again. Even though it's a fairly standard story and the characters have a tendency to fall into the familiar kids film territory, I really like it. It's got some really touching moments and a fantastic soundtrack and it often reaches levels of seriousness a lot of Dreamworks films are beginning to demonstrate.

Okay, they aren't Pixar, but I think Dreamworks have made some really great films over the years. Antz, The Prince of Egypt, Shrek 2, Megamind...they're pretty good sometimes.

979Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 am

AwesomeMedic

AwesomeMedic

Watching V for Vendetta for the 8th time. Still epic.

980Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 am

D-Munny

D-Munny

981Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:09 pm

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Guys...you guys...guys...dude, guys, seriously...Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. See this movie. Read the book. In whichever order. I'm dead serious that this movie is really straining my maxim that the book is always better...[]

http://www.jttheninja.com

982Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Katls

Katls

Belated review powers activate!
Here's a breif review of Promethieus. But first, let's explore a few things surounding the series and the name.
Prometheis was a Titan, a race that ruled Olympius before the gods came in and kicked them out. Because Prometheis sided with them, he was saved from the "punishment" (punishment implies that the Titans did wrong to the gods when they where in power, when honestly they where not, so what the gods did to them was a war crime) that he would had suffered otherwise. He made man out of clay and water, and when Zeus treated them wrong, he stole fire and knowlage from the gods. He was cast into the Earth and was constantlly attacked by birds.
Now, here's the spoiler part of this exploration of the movie background, so don't read this until you see the movie. That's if you care anywyas.
Spoiler:
Now to the review. What I will say right away is that this is not Alien as you know it kids.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

983Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

Snow White and the Huntsman is so crappy I couldn't focus on how crappy it was. It was so, so shitty.
Rock of Ages was really lame, but it was an entertaining lame. Maybe I'm just a sucker for musicals, but the music was pretty bad so maybe that wasn't the case?

984Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:41 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

So I watched Red Tails last night, and I thought it was pretty damn good. The premise involves the Tuskegee Airmen, a group of black pilots who proved themselves to be exceptional in duty towards the system that doubted their abilities solely due to their race. Specifically, the movie centers around a squad of pilots and what they went through as they were entrusted with more and more responsiblities as the institution became less and less racist.

An interesting thing to note is that this movie was in Development Hell for several years because Hollywood Execs thought a movie was a cast made up almost entirely of unfamilliar black actors would never be successful. Unfortunatley, it seems that they were right, as the movie did poorly at the box office. It certainly had its faults, but those faults aren't responsible for the lack of people showing up to the theater.
So basically, a movie about a group of black people who no one thought could be successful just because of their race turned out to not be successful because people didn't think that the film could be good just because of their race.
HISTOWEY REPEA'S ISSELF IS DE LESSON FO' TAHDAY CHILLUNS.

Onto a more in-depth review...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Dewmann on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

985Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 pm

someguy3657

someguy3657

Just came back from watching Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Just as I thought: completely retarded, but still nicely filled with action, so I suppose it's worth a watch if you feel like learning that
Spoiler:

986Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Brave was a beautiful movie, but the actual storyline was disappointing for Pixar-Disney.

987Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:22 pm

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was an amazing work of cinema...instant classic, especially if you've read the book. []

http://www.jttheninja.com

988Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Got around to seeing Ed Wood; I really liked it.
Johnny Depp is good in that I don't see him as "Johnny Depp" when I watch a film. Patricia Arquette is Patricia Arquette, though, she can go to hell.

989Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:56 am

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I couldn't stand that movie. I didn't even finish it, I just got so intensely bored by it I had to turn it off and do something else.

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

990Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:21 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

It was pretty boring, yeah. It's a biopic so I guess it's understandable.
I don't think there are many biopics out there with stunning a storyline.

I still really liked it despite it being pretty boring. Ed was a good character; it's nice to see a male character that isn't "grrr look at my muscles and veins"

991Film Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Film Thread Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:48 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

You want to see a mediocre film? Watch The Tale of Despereaux. Ugh. It's been in our Sky box for about two years so I thought I'd watch it while everyone else was out and...God, it just doesn't do anything brilliantly.

-------

https://treehouse.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=365

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

» Serious » Film Thread

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum