Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

Real talk thread

+10
Packie
Bowen
D-Munny
Tasha the Silly Panda
Moltenfield
Gorgro
SQUIGGLES
Ziggles
Hollyღ
JT_the_Ninja
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Real talk thread Empty Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:59 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Real talk, you guys...

You guys are the best. Don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Also, real talk, you guys...sometimes I just want to say heck with everything and just go back to bed...but then I don't, because reality. And then coffee. But I still sorta wanna say heck with everything...

((for anyone who doesn't know what real talk is, watch old Game Grumps videos on YouTube))

[    ]

http://www.jttheninja.com

2Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:21 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Thanks for sharing that JT. I think we really need a thread like this. I stickied this thread even though I don't have domain here but Tuomey can unsticky it at anytime. Did you want to clarify what this thread is about some more in your original post?

I love you guys too, I've been here since the original forum and came back after the Driscoll scandal. I'd hate to see the forum fade away but sometimes I'm just not motivated to post here at all.

Real talk, I think we should move away from the 'Daisy Owl' image because the comic is dead, we probably garnered all the fans who are worth attracting, and I think we need new faces around here to get people interested in the forum again. Holding the Daisy Owl Fansite image is stunting.

I'm not bothering to pin down refined thoughts right now because I have so many, but I will share more later.

Last edited by Hollyღ on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total

3Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 am

Ziggles

Ziggles

I like realtalk. I have a lot of feels about things.

First I completely empathize with JT. Life sucks sometimes. I have yet to find a solution to this. This sort of correlates with what Holly said- sometimes I can't be arsed to make myself useful by contributing to this forum. Which I know is a dick move, but everything I do or say when I'm depressed is that.

Additionally I love you guys too. [/drunk]

Regarding Daisy Owl, I feel like that comic was always just a means to an end, and letting it linger around here seems kind of... hipstery? Like it's 'vintage', and it's still here even though everyone has outgrown it. The reason I am here is because of you guys, not anything else. Whatever we have here we created for ourselves, and I think we should recognize that.

As a community we need to develop an identity independent of our nostalgia over something we once thought was cool. We remain artists, writers, gamers, and appreciators of all kinds of media. We can stand on our own now.

4Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Real talk, I still like Daisy Owl, but I think we're sorta a DO forum in name only anyway now...I'll abide by the admins decisions though.

((for the uninitiated: "real talk" is just basically saying what you really feel, what you just really wanna say. So this thread is just that...no overarching theme, just real talk. ))

[ ]

5Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:29 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

Ziggles wrote:The reason I am here is because of you guys, not anything else. Whatever we have here we created for ourselves, and I think we should recognize that. As a community we need to develop an identity independent of our nostalgia over something we once thought was cool. We remain artists, writers, gamers, and appreciators of all kinds of media. We can stand on our own now.
this
yes
aye

I agree completely

Daisy Owl is the forum's heritage but we don't talk about it and it's dead and Driscoll is long gone. It can still be our heritage but it shouldn't be what we try to define this forum with. I've heard a couple say this now: really this forum is just a place for friends to hang out, mess around, share and talk. I think trying to pin this forum as a formal forum for something is just making things too, uhh, formal between everyone.

6Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I can understand that, yeah. The only direct connection we have to the comic is cooper and the dinosaur in the layout, isn't it? How do you see these changes exactly?

https://treehouse.forumotion.com

7Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 pm

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Real talk, I'm just so glad it's payday...I was down to $5.75 in my account yesterday...[ ]

8Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Gorgro wrote:I can understand that, yeah. The only direct connection we have to the comic is cooper and the dinosaur in the layout, isn't it? How do you see these changes exactly?
I think dino header is like our mascot now, but either way I'm not really fussed. I think the great big Cooper should go and maybe we should get everyone to pitch in on something to replace it. Disclaimer Thread would have to go and maybe there should be official recognition that we're no longer a fan forum.

9Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

Oh right, I totally forgot about that thread. Yeah I think it's probably ok if that goes by now, but explicitly stating that we're not a fan forum any more might be a bit much since that'll be sort of implied anyway.

10Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:41 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

oh yeah i just meant like in this thread
"hey guys we're not a fan forum anymore ok"
but it's all cool

11Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Moltenfield

Moltenfield

Personally, this forum feels like a second home to me. When I joined, I never expected to stick around for as long as I did. I love it here, and I love the people here too. I know I have never been here as long as some of you, but I feel like this forum is just one big family.

Also following the line of thought currently in this thread, I also agree that this forum has evolved past being a fan forum, and into its own thing that. I think we should leave the Daisy Owl image when we decide what our image truly is. I also think we should leave behind something to remember Daisy Owl rather than leave it entirely. I know what happens to this forum isn't for me to decide, but if things do change here, then I would like to voice my opinion.

12Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

>Squiggles I think the great big Cooper should go and maybe we should get everyone to pitch in on something to replace it [...]  I think trying to pin this forum as a formal forum for something is just making things too, uhh, formal between everyone.

Yes I think this is it exactly, more or less. The idea of a forum project where we all create something that represents what we've become due to our progression of these years is super choice in my opinion, when can we start?

>Molten I also think we should leave behind something to remember Daisy Owl rather than leave it entirely. I know what happens to this forum isn't for me to decide, but if things do change here, then I would like to voice my opinion

Not a bad idea, but keeping an official part of Daisy Owl, even a small part, would probably undermine the point of trying to become our own forum, I think. If we do keep a small part I'd like to cast my vote for the dinosaur as it was our first logo and forum 'mascot'. Maybe we can even make our own interpretation of it

I don't mean to change the topic but another quandary comes to mind that I've discussed on Tinychat before but not much (if ever) here and that's how some people are coming across on the forum and over chat.

I won't give names or examples unless wanted otherwise to prevent drama, but some people are coming across as pretentious and exclusive. I know and understand most of us have issues expressing emotion (I don't see that as an excuse personally but I can understand it). But it seems more than that, as if they knowingly look down on others or can't be bothered to deal with them. I'm far from saying we all love each other. I just think some more tact and effort is needed. As tripe as it sounds, some peoples words and actions around here hurt more than they realize.

Also, Thank you for voicing your opinion Molten. I sometimes get the feeling some people don't feel their opinion or voice matters around here so they lurk. I think one reason is that they feel they are no longer wanted to have been casted in a bad light, and peoples pent up emotions towards other users are effecting how we act. I'd like for us to change that if possible.

I will start

JT I have been a real bitch to you, in your face and behind your back. It's obvious you have unpopular opinions around here but that's a childish reason to dislike you. The stunt you did during your appreciation week hurt me deep, because It was a gift from me to you and in my point of view, so inconsiderately disregarded it. Instead of asking you what your reasons were I had assumed the worst, so for that I apologize and hope we can start over. Also when you opened up on tinychat and admitted you have emotional blocks I kinda got a better insight of why you are the way you are so maybe share some of yourself. I think in reality we know surprisingly little about everyone here

Molten I have had a hard trusting you on minecraft, mainly because I don't know much about you and you act secretive and shady whenever youre around. I'm sorry for that and hopefully I can understand you in the future.

Cube you piss me off so easily. You don't even know it half the time because I try to keep real cool and nice-like, but your 'in your face' behavior on minecraft is not one I am use to. When you touch all my builds and kill my wolves because 'lol internet' I can't keep my composure. It's not your fault because it's just me being diaper baby but I really want to be your friend because your super funny and chill, I just need time to adjust to your humor and maybe we just need to talk more and fuck around, but not literally, cubes have sharp edges.

I meant for this post to sound more acute and less sappy but it's super late and I'm super tired. Super.

13Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Moltenfield

Moltenfield

Hollyღ wrote:Molten I have had a hard trusting you on minecraft, mainly because I don't know much about you and you act secretive and shady whenever youre around. I'm sorry for that and hopefully I can understand you in the future.
I don't try to act shady or secretive. I just don't really know what to talk about. I am not much of a conversation starter both in game and irl, but I do try. Mostly when I visit people on the server, I try to see if I can help out in any way or form, but I only do that if I think I know what they are trying to do. If the people I try to help want me to stop, I'll stop. other times I just find it relaxing to watch people build, and I try not to distract them so I stay silent and try to stay out of there way. If I goof off is because I am bored and want to hang around, but I try not to harm the builds or mobs that in any way, shape, or form.

14Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Gorgro

Gorgro
Glorious Leader

I'd like to add to the not being motivated to post sentiment since I'm currently going through that somewhat. I feel like nothing I could post would add to the conversation or it would just repeat what has already been said, so I just don't post at all.

15Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:43 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Real talk, when people talk about how they feel they've been mean to me in any way it usually takes me by surprise, because it's probably the first time that idea has occurred to me. I never hold grudges, and don't usually even feel offended for more than a second or two,and that only in extreme circumstances. Nothing anybody ever says do I take personally, because I just sorta refuse delivery. I guess for that reason I don't take apologies well, and for that I apologize.

As to the theme weeks, I'm sorry if I offended people, and I realize I should've been more clear that I wasn't keen on the whole idea. I don't like feeling singled out, and I especially don't like the feeling of people standing around me saying how good I am...it makes me feel like some sort of spectacle, like the little boy everyone fawns over. If I get praise I want it to be directly for something I have done or earned, and in a subdued manner. So sorry again for all that.

Also real talk, should we name the dinosaur? [ ]

16Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:42 am

Tasha the Silly Panda

Tasha the Silly Panda

All right, since we're all being so open; Real Talk with Tasha time ~

I honestly think this is a great forum, and I've made a good deal of friends here over the years. I, personally, don't feel as strongly as Holly does about the issues with some members. No one has ever really offended me here, but I don't get angry with people very quickly in real life either. However, I get that it's frustrating for someone like Holly, who puts in a lot of time and effort for this forum, and then people don't really show enough interest.

As for me, I know I don't always post that much, but sometimes I just don't feel like I could say anything that people would find interesting or that hasn't been said already (even with this post I feel like I'm just repeating what everyone else said). I am on Tinychat a lot though, I like directly talking to you all that way. I hope that the members we don't know that much about will be on there too every once in a while.
Oh also, I think I owe some apologies for leaving you all for a while! I think I wasn't really on the forum for like a year, or longer even, I don't remember. I'm glad to be back these last few months, you've all been so nice to me.
I hope I've never been rude or offended anyone btw, I tend to joke a lot, I'd never mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

I like the ideas about becoming our own forum. We don't really discuss the comic anymore, the forum should be about this group of friends. Holding up the image of a fansite doesn't give the right impression of what we're about.
I like our little dinosaur mascot though, I also vote Aye on keeping it.

@ JT: He looks like his name should start with a "J", like Jason or Jacob or James. Or Owen? He could be an Owen. Or Tristan, or Ryan, or Alex. Ooh or Logan. No, erm, OH MAYBE HE'S A "HUNTER". I don't know how to name okay.

17Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:08 am

Ziggles

Ziggles

Everyone here means a lot to me and I'm glad you're all around.
All your apologies are accepted, even though they're probably not necessary. You're all pretty great, and any shortcomings you see in yourselves are probably not as bad as they seem.

If people are finding it difficult to say something they feel is worthwhile on this forum, can I suggest maybe rather than posting in the current available threads, to make one that you can get into? Not necessarily one of much import, but even if you feel like you don't have something to say, getting your opinion on something, anything, is better than radio silence.
Unless it's a matter of motivation to read what others have written and then discuss, because I can't help you there- I am a sufferer of that apathy.

18Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

>Tasha As for me, I know I don't always post that much, but sometimes I just don't feel like I could say anything that people would find interesting or that hasn't been said already (even with this post I feel like I'm just repeating what everyone else said).

And you still managed to make a good post that added to the thread and made some good points. I think people around here are so scared of their image or how their opinions will look that they decide against posting, which is silly. Who cares if your opinion is the same as everyone else, give your point of view of why you think that. It might be slightly different reasons why we all come to the same conclusion but if people are scared of sharing we will never know.

>Gorgro I feel like nothing I could post would add to the conversation or it would just repeat what has already been said, so I just don't post at all.

You and Tasha both, wat. All posts add something to the conversations, staying silent adds nothing at all.

>Ziggles If people are finding it difficult to say something they feel is worthwhile on this forum, can I suggest maybe rather than posting in the current available threads, to make one that you can get into? Not necessarily one of much import, but even if you feel like you don't have something to say, getting your opinion on something, anything, is better than radio silence.

Yes this
Yes yes yes

>Molten I don't try to act shady or secretive. I just don't really know what to talk about. I am not much of a conversation starter both in game and irl, but I do try. Mostly when I visit people on the server, I try to see if I can help out in any way or form, but I only do that if I think I know what they are trying to do. If the people I try to help want me to stop, I'll stop. other times I just find it relaxing to watch people build, and I try not to distract them so I stay silent and try to stay out of there way. If I goof off is because I am bored and want to hang around, but I try not to harm the builds or mobs that in any way, shape, or form.

Yeah I get that now, get back on the server and maybe we can find mutual interests to talk about. I don't mind you helping me but sometimes I get unsettled by people who lurk around without speaking is all.

>JT As to the theme weeks, I'm sorry if I offended people, and I realize I should've been more clear that I wasn't keen on the whole idea. I don't like feeling singled out, and I especially don't like the feeling of people standing around me saying how good I am...it makes me feel like some sort of spectacle, like the little boy everyone fawns over. If I get praise I want it to be directly for something I have done or earned, and in a subdued manner. So sorry again for all that.

Thank you JT. It really means a lot that you posted that. I'm sorry too. I like the idea of naming the dino, I will think up names when I'm less tired~

19Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:27 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

I'm part of that crowd that doesn't know what to say usually, so I neglect to say anything at all because I'm always afraid of coming off as dense or inane. Usually when there are discussions, especially in places like the debate thread, I often feel like I'm uninformed and not ready to have an opinion because I don't know enough about the topic at hand.

I'm constantly worried about coming off as just kind of the clueless kid who doesn't know the first thing about anything and flounders when it comes to attempting humor, so it's always a relief when at least one person laughs. I'll also admit that occasionally I'm a self-centered enough fuck to think that people will notice whenever I'm feeling sad and ask about it, and recognize that I need to cut that shit out because I can't expect you guys to console me or whatever because you've all got your own things going on.

Out of everyone here, there's nobody who I don't have a few reasons for respecting, and I can't thank you guys enough for all the experiences I've shared with you.

I really don't know what to say when it comes to stuff like this, so I guess it's just gonna end abruptly here.

20Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Bowen

Bowen

A good way to look at all this is: Everyone here who has admitted to avoiding posting have posted interesting things. You, person who are also avoiding posting things are no different.
It's the line of thinking I tend to use whenever debating to actually post something, and it has helped from time to time. Sounds silly, considering I have a relatively small amount of posts, but without that philosophy I likely would have left entirely quite a while ago.
Besides, it's not as if anyone will get all that angry or upset at you, so why not just go for it?

21Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:41 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Bowen, you are on a roll, yes.

I think something which annoys me is in threads like Music Thread and Youtube Videos (I've been avoiding them for a while, except when I'm trying to keep them ticking over because they seem pretty vain). Those threads are posted in so often but I feel like it's uncommon to see people commenting on things other people have posted- it's just page after page of people sharing things. I'm not expecting an essay on every video posted but if someone's posted something in those threads it's because they want to share it and if you have the time (and I get that not everyone has the time or internet connection to do it) it would be thoughtful to actually watch it, even if it doesn't have an attention-grabbing title and a funny picture, and, if you like it, maybe say "hey, I thought that was really good, do you know of anything similar?"

On the other side of that, it's so dull to just see people posting embeds as entire comments; even if you just mash the keyboard and type "this is funny video" underneath as a quick summary I'd be more inclined to watch it.

I think this thread is a great idea, yes; JT you have read my mind with the last few threads you've made.

I would rather die painfully and slowly than open up the rest of my inner thoughts to the world, but I will be totally OK if people want to air their frustrations about me; I wont get annoyed- just putting it out there in the air yeah

22Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 am

Packie

Packie

I also find it difficult to think of something to post about, and even if I do, I always have a lot of trouble expressing myself. This was actually the reason I took a bit of a hiatus a while ago

and while I know that just posting something random is not a problem, it does not make it easier for me personally.

for example, it took me about half a day to start writing this message

also another point for me that is closely connected to this is that I usually can't think of something appropriate/fitting to say when somebody post something emotionally significant here (or post such things myself)
I do appreciate you lot and hope the best for you

23Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Cheers to those who posted and shared~

24Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Travelcube

Travelcube

Real talk. Someguy in particular. Sorry to call you out on this, but I think it needs to be said for everyone to hear.

If you're meeting up with someone on here IRL, coordinate it by PM and tell us after the fact. That said, this is only if you're talking to a specific person. Tasha, your post asking if anyone could make it to London was fine.

http://justhellapornoallthetime.com

25Real talk thread Empty Re: Real talk thread Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm

AwesomeMedic

AwesomeMedic

My real talk? Honestly I never have something to say. I just take the first thing in my mind and write it down. About rare and taco coming in the north pole I only took 5 minures of my break and found the solution. Train. All i have to say to Charles is this: explore other things than what you already know. Life is easier like that. Atleast for me. I'm far from mad at you. Not even a little frustrated. Its just that you panic a little too much :p And rare/taco: butts. No really don't eorry when i start to do something, it always end up good. And fast.

Keep it up guys.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum