Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Interesting Thread

+11
Icriex the Hyperbolic
Jonny
Samiam
Hollyღ
JT_the_Ninja
Travelcube
D-Munny
Top Hat Zebra
Ziggles
Taiju
SQUIGGLES
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Samiam

Samiam

77The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Samiam

Samiam

I enjoy listening to spacerip

78The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Samiam

Samiam

79The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Samiam

Samiam

80The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:13 am

Samiam

Samiam

Ziggles wrote:
Samiam wrote:This may bum you out to know this but its been proven mathematically for genes causing altruism to propagate more then genes that are every man for himself.  
Really? Do you have any other things about this, it sounds interesting to me.

@Holly: yes I remember that! I think that was what provoked me about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_equation

You have to scroll down to the part that covers altruism.

81The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

http://thetweethereafter.com/

"The Tweet Hereafter; a website dedicated to collecting the final tweets of people, cause of death and including their biography too."

Jiah Khan @jiahkhan wrote:So sorry I have been off twitter! Took a bit of a break from twitter verse.. sometimes u need a sabbatical to recollect ur thoughts
Mindy McCready @mindymccready wrote:@dancinjake Things have been hectic. But I'm still here..
Erica Andrews @EricaAndrews wrote:Sending good energy to you, peace and blessings friends
Reeva Steenkamp @reevasteenkamp wrote:
What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay

Cory Monteith @CoryMonteith wrote:oh. IT'S A SHARK TORNADO
fucking hell cory

82The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:16 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Here all the bookmarks in my Wikipedia folder
Most of these are bookmarked because I learned something I really liked from them
or I just like the ideas in them
or something i dont know some of them are pretty random
some of them are just games i think are cool

anyway i hope someone learns something interesting and/or has something similar to share

I have more but not all of them are sorted into that folder

* Enso
* Hemp
* Film noir
* Zip bomb
* Beowulf
* Festivus
* Kaihogyo
* Hardboiled fiction
* Adventure
* Electrolaser
* Geniocracy
* Anti-humour
* The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was
* A Boy And His Dog
* Paul is dead
* The Kick Inside
* Captain America (serial)#References to the serial
* Bravest Warriors
* American Graffiti#Cast
* The Phantom#Australia
* Cult of the Dead Cow#see also
* I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
* Repeating crossbow
* Exit Through The Gift Shop
* The Beastmaster (film)
* The 48 Laws of Power
* Sunshine pop
* Vaudeville
* Imp of the perverse
* Disposal of human corpses
* The Wanderers (Price novel)
* Jumper (novel)
* Yellow Journalism
* English language
* History of science
* History of the world
* History of technology
* List of latin phrases (full)
* List of religious slurs
* List of cognitive biases
* List of collective nouns
* List of ethnic slurs by ethnicity
* List of common misconceptions
* FUBAR#FUBAR
* Tragedy of the commons
* The Battleship Potemkin
* The Picnic at Hanging Rock (film)
* Romper Stomper
* Art Deco
* Waiting for Godot

* Carl Panzram
* Errol Flynn
* Ginger Rogers
* Kara Walker someone from here might've led me to this one
* Ralph Waldo Emerson
* John Titor
* Huo Yuanjia
* Squeeze (band)
* Sam Phillips
* Henry David Thoreau
* Rosie the Riveter
* Wolfman Jack
* Bernard Cornwell this one might've been ziggles
* Bruce Lee: The Curse of the Dragon

* Planescape
* Bad Mojo
* Dark Seed
* Sanitarium
* The Neverhood

NOT WIKIPEDIA:
* Cuil Theory

83The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Some artists paint ensō with an opening in the circle, while others complete the circle. For the former, the opening may express various ideas, for example that the ensō is not separate, but is part of something greater, or that imperfection is an essential and inherent aspect of existence (see also the idea of broken symmetry and wabi-sabi). The principle of controlling the balance of composition through asymmetry and irregularity is an important aspect of the Japanese aesthetic: Fukinsei (不均斉), the denial of perfection.
Godd, I love this. I heard the same concept and idea was thought up by some Greeks / Romans who would sometimes purposely make their statues and artwork imperfect and flawed because they believed only the gods had the right to make something perfect. Making sculptures of animals and people that were morphed or deformed even in subtle ways was considered an acceptable way to worship and honor the gods. I can't seem to find my sources stating this but I've heard it in several books, so if anyone can find some true accounts of it. The closest I can find to describing their practice is here.

I haven't gone through all your links yet so you might have this listed already, but it falls in the category of Wabi-Sabi, or Japanese world view/ aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"

84The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:51 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Damn, that's interesting.

85The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:28 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Samiam wrote:
Finally got around to watching the majority of your videos and will finish the rest up today. This one is probably my favorite one and reminds me that my near-crippling fear of space is justified. When I've finished all your videos I will write more on them

86The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

SQUIGGLES wrote:
* Beowulf
The Odyssey and The Illiad are my favorite epics I think, and most other "Homeric Epics". There is a collection of greek epics called The Epic Cycle which are categorized to be separate from Homeric Epics but are on the same scale and league as them. They're all connected to the Trojan War but I think the originals and their copies have been lost throughout history. Only fragments of the Epic Cycle have been saved

When getting links for the Homeric poems I found the Theban Cycle and have four epics in the collection, one of which I had heard of before but didn't know it was connected to anything else. According to the Wiki:

The epics of the Theban Cycle were as follows:

The Oedipodea, attributed to Cinaethon: told the story of Oedipus' solution to the Sphinx's riddle, and presumably of his incestuous marriage to his mother Epicaste or Jocasta.

The Thebaid, of uncertain authorship but sometimes attributed in antiquity to Homer: told the story of the war between Oedipus' two sons Eteocles and Polynices, and of Polynices' unsuccessful expedition against the city of Thebes with six other commanders (the "Seven Against Thebes"), in which both Eteocles and Polynices were killed.

The Epigoni, attributed in antiquity to either Antimachus of Teos or Homer: a continuation of the Thebaid, which told the story of the next generation of heroes who attacked Thebes, this time successfully.

The Alcmeonis, of unknown authorship: told the story of Alcmaeon's murder of his mother Eriphyle for having arranged the death of his father Amphiaraus (told in the Thebaid).
Select editions and translations

Titanomachy is a good one, it's the story of Zeus's father Chronos, leader of the titans, and their struggle for power and hierarchy. The whole legend of Chronos is actually really good, but most likely you've read about it before.

If you like Grimm stories This Website has 209 stories of Grimm you can read online for free. It's nothing fancy, just paragraphed wall text. Translations might vary but the story concepts are the same.

87The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:20 am

Tasha the Silly Panda

Tasha the Silly Panda

I'm intrigued by the idea of extra-terrestrial life, though I'm very sceptic. Usually shows about "paranormal/extra-terrestrial investigation" are just silly and not very, well, scientific.

I recently got Discovery Science, and there's this show Alien Mysteries, and I just saw this episode I like. Not saying I believe everything in it, or saying it's completely scientific or anything, but I found the witnesses believable and seemingly trustworthy (especially the guy called Jared Lee at the end, if you keep watching. He seems very intelligent and well-educated, he's an aerospace engineer.) They might have just seen something completely normal or military-related that they explained with Aliens, but at least I think they're not making it up. Some interesting evidence as well.

To all interested, I found the entire episode (Se. 1, Ep. 05; Bucks County) on youtube in fairly good quality. Enjoy~

88The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Considered putting this in the debate thread but will move if necessary
Brief but informative description on what's happening with Syria

89The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 am

Samiam

Samiam

Tasha the Silly Panda wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of extra-terrestrial life, though I'm very sceptic.]
I'm not very skeptic about the idea of life existing elsewhere then earth and for a very good reason.

Just take a look at what we are made of, hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, silicon, ect. ect. and you will find that we are made of some of the most common elements in the universe. So the idea of life existing elsewhere in the universe is easy to comprehend. The universe is so large that life exists elsewhere with a 100% certainty but the extensiveness of the universe is also the reason that we may never be able to find it. Kinda sad.

90The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 am

Tasha the Silly Panda

Tasha the Silly Panda

Samiam wrote:
Tasha the Silly Panda wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of extra-terrestrial life, though I'm very sceptic.]
I'm not very skeptic about the idea of life existing elsewhere then earth and for a very good reason.

Just take a look at what we are made of, hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, silicon, ect. ect. and you will find that we are made of some of the most common elements in the universe. So the idea of life existing elsewhere in the universe is easy to comprehend. The universe is so large that life exists elsewhere with a 100% certainty but the extensiveness of the universe is also the reason that we may never be able to find it. Kinda sad.  
Oh, I certainly do believe life is around somewhere, yes. I meant I'm rather sceptic about intelligent alien life contacting us or visiting us in spacecrafts.

91The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Baeder Meinhof Phenomenon

When you learn, hear or think about something and suddenly experience it everywhere as if it was planned or arranged

The phenomenon bears some similarity to synchronicity, which is the experience of having a highly meaningful coincidence... such as having someone telephone you while you are thinking about them. Both phenomena invoke a feeling of mild surprise, and cause one to ponder the odds of such an intersection [...] The reason for this is our brains' prejudice towards patterns. Our brains are fantastic pattern recognition engines, a characteristic which is highly useful for learning, but it does cause the brain to lend excessive importance to unremarkable events

92The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

what the hell were we talking about when I brought that up, in chat?
i remember spending like an hour trying to think of what that was called

93The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Edit: You linked The Baader-Meinhof Group, also known as Red Army Faction, which was a left-wing militant group active in West Germany from 1970-1998. I think you brought up when we were discussing P!nk

God Im tripping balls that sentence is so funny out of context

Last edited by Hollyღ on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

94The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

"There is no waterfall; there is only waterfalling. Waterfalls do not exist. When you think you see a waterfall, what is see is just water falling.

Likewise, there is no river; only rivering. No writer here or reader here too; only writing and reading.
There are no solid changes; there is only fluid changing. There are no shapes; only shape-shifting. There is nothing morphed; only morphing. The world is not the world. The world is always worlding.
Everything is changing, changing... leaving no trace of self. Realise this and be free... of the world, of your self. This is true freedom! For there is nothing else to be free of."

Saw this quote earlier today and thought it'd be interesting to make a discussion of it here.

95The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:30 pm

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Hrm...so when you look at me, you just see a human, being. [ ]

http://www.jttheninja.com

96The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:12 am

AwesomeMedic

AwesomeMedic

97The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:37 am

Samiam

Samiam

98The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

List of hoaxes featured on Wikipedia

This one is a work of art; it's all bullshit
I am laughing so hard

and this guy made this for his cat like
oh my gosh

99The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

100The Interesting Thread  - Page 4 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

SQUIGGLES wrote: this guy made this for his cat like
oh my gosh
In the early 1980s the rights to Olimar the Wondercat were bought by LWT and his name was shortened to Oli the Wondercat. The programme was redesigned giving Oli a costume and enhanced special powers. In true ITV style Oli had a nemesis Evil Derek the Dark Dalmatian (more spot than dog) who plagued Oli. However, Evil Derek's role as villain was soon usurped by Cello the Mighty, a fierce Siamese cat embodying the truculence and pugnacity of his homeland - Canada. Cello and Oli battled many times with Cello countering Oli's strange magical powers with his ability to grow a lion-like and power-granting mane at will. Cello's struggles with Oli would dominate most of the Series 2 plot line.

Season two episodes

Oli Makes Peace, Buries Derek
   Cello eats Oli's food
   Sit! Oli!
   Oli and Edward run away (from Cello)
   Oli Prepares for a Finale Showdown
   Cello, the Cat who Lived

I'm cryingg
This sounds magnificent

Heard this quote today regarding Space;
"True nothingness is incomprehensible to us"

Sponsored content