Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Interesting Thread

+11
Icriex the Hyperbolic
Jonny
Samiam
Hollyღ
JT_the_Ninja
Travelcube
D-Munny
Top Hat Zebra
Ziggles
Taiju
SQUIGGLES
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

Here's a link to the article I was talking about, here's the notice put up after the editors took the spread down from the website. Anything else pertinent can probably be googled.

I like the teargas article you posted, interesting thoughts in my brainplace.

27The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES
The 7th Wonder of the World

it literally created an image based on a real writer who really hanged herself with a pair of stockings, and then it told you where to buy the stockings.
You were right that the most interesting part was the excerpt about dealing with attention seekers. I don't think that photoshoot is such a bad idea if it wasn't so incredibly obvious they're doing it just to showcase fashion. They could've made a statement or honoured the writers but instead they decided to make a "death is almost as pretty as the shit we sell" clamour for attention.

Australian politics; usurper usurped, unsurprisingly, onus on obloquy.
I feel like there's way too much of a focus on people and personalities than issues in our media. It feels like a popularity contest and there is something fundamentally flawed with the way politics is represented on our televisions. I don't know why it seems like people are content for something as serious as politics to become a "he said/she said" black-and-white game. The comments on that article are fucking horrendous, even for a biased shitrag like news.com. Damn, I'm pissed.

28The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

"in all my years i have never seen a bigger bunch of muppets"
^This probably means something, but what? Obviously the guy disapproves of the Labor Party, but why the puppet metaphor?

That's definitely how it is with American politics, too! And I sometimes hate myself for playing along, because I will see a high-profile Republican or Democrat on TV and find myself disagreeing with what they are saying simply because I have their name in a folder someplace that says "Do Not Agree With" (figuratively, I don't have any actual folders). It makes it so difficult to consider my actual stance on the issues(AKA the things that matter) when everything is so biased and polemic.

It's also true that people become so excited for the next round of elections that they cannot consider when politicians do their actual jobs to be newsworthy, focusing more on media stunts and campaigning.

29The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Ziggles wrote:"in all my years i have never seen a bigger bunch of muppets"
Oh, "muppets" is a colloquialism here, I don't think you guys use it? It means anything from "useless tool" to "emotionless/opinionless puppet".

Ziggles wrote:I sometimes find myself disagreeing with what they are saying simply because I have their name in a folder someplace that says "Do Not Agree With". It makes it so difficult to consider my actual stance on the issues(AKA the things that matter) when everything is so biased and polemic.
It's a poor reflection on our society as a teacher that what seems to be the majority of us think in such an emotional dichotomy. Where do you get your news from?

30The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 am

Ziggles

Ziggles

Mostly I read NPR or the NY Times for national news and BBC for world news. If I ever wanted to read local news, which I hardly ever do, ever, I'd have to check our local chapter of Fox News.
For political news I like to watch the Daily Show and sometimes my dad's favorite vice, the Huffington Post.

31The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

32The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:38 am

Ziggles

Ziggles

Wow, I love that experiment. It's pretty telling, also awful. Fascinating.

33The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

Hey guys, sorry to change the topic so quickly but I found this article and it's pretty interesting. States that our greatest strength is often the reason for our greatest weakness while using Homers Iliad as an example.

The virtuals and vices of courage

34The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 pm

D-Munny

D-Munny

I liked that. It seems like too often stuff like determination, courage and commitment to a cause are seen as something only the good guys have, when in reality, it's found on all parts of the axis.

35The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

It seems like traits like Fortitude and Aptitude are usually labeled hero traits that are the pinnacle of altruism when in reality only discretion prevents them from being used for nefarious gain - the article mentions that "brave man must first know what good is, and he must be brave for the sake of the good" and I feel that beautifully sums it up.

36The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 am

Samiam

Samiam

Fascinating read!

37The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 am

Samiam

Samiam

38The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

Hollyღ wrote:Hey guys, sorry to change the topic so quickly but I found this article and it's pretty interesting. States that our greatest strength is often the reason for our greatest weakness while using Homers Iliad as an example.

The virtuals and vices of courage
That's a very interesting perspective on it, I'd never considered the topic before. Also a very well-written article.

A particular line from it struck me: "it is crucial that we assess what is due to others as well as what is permitted to ourselves."
It seems to me that there is never a time that this is not true, and yet we so rarely stop to consider it. I can't really expand on the theme of altruism and selfishness without getting really long-winded and melodramatic, but I believe it to be important to consider the effect of one's actions on other people.

@Sam: god damn. My mind is fair blown.
Fictionalism is really very fascinating. Inventing an entire language that only works within itself, that tells a story that is consistent all the way through, but is nonetheless unimportant and nonsensical out of context? Fuckin' nuts.
It's really hard to get into the debate about the Truth of things, and whether things actually exist. I ain't gonna right this second.

39The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

At the same time we treat Al-Qaeda suicide bomber Mohamed Atta as a “coward” because he disregarded the rules of engagement. In one sense such assumptions speak well of our culture. But strictly speaking, were the 9/11 bombers cowardly? What about the Japanese kamikaze in World War II? The popular definition of courage seems incomplete.
I wish the author had written more on this line of thinking.

Following the link in the comments off that article I ended up on this critique of U.S.A. politics which is completely unrelated also this thing about superman which isn't serious or interesting at all.

Measuring materialism in children's books
Important points so no-one else has to bring them up:
* sample space of only 30 books
* all common, award-winning, recommended books
* this is just the beginning of a study

40The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Ziggles

Ziggles

SQUIGGLES wrote:Measuring materialism in children's books
Important points so no-one else has to bring them up:
* sample space of only 30 books
* all common, award-winning, recommended books
* this is just the beginning of a study
I feel like materialism is pretty common to all children. From a young age, kids have to be chastised and patiently taught to share things, and they guard jealously the things that they 'own', like a stuffed animal or blanket or similar. Are they books that they're read contributing to these behaviors, or merely writing about them in ways that children immediately recognize?

41The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:05 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Here's another anti-consumerism one, this broached points I hadn't ever seen before: The Gospel of Consumerism

42The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:07 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

Just read a very interesting article on guns in America. Not sure how accurate the information is but still. The section on protecting your home is particularly compelling.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20396_5-mind-blowing-facts-nobody-told-you-about-guns.html

43The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:44 am

Icriex the Hyperbolic

Icriex the Hyperbolic

Let's not debate gun control. In my experience, nobody changes their mind and everyone hates each other a little more.

44The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:10 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

Heh, the last gun control debate was a fantastic disaster but now that Zebra's gone I think we're all mature enough to discuss it if it comes up. It's certainly not worth not mentioning.

45The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:15 am

Jonny

Jonny

I wasn't really trying to start a debate. I just thought it was food for thought.

46The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:16 am

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

And how does that make you feel?
I disagree.

47The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 am

Jonny

Jonny

Wait, what?

48The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

I find this thread interesting. [ ]

http://www.jttheninja.com

49The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:25 am

Hollyღ

Hollyღ
Dove in the Moonlight

50The Interesting Thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Interesting Thread Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 pm

SQUIGGLES

SQUIGGLES

My word, Holly, Film Thread
that belongs in Film Thread

Bale’s preposterous, raspy ‘Bat-voice’ was clearly adopted to evoke a Clint Eastwood tough guy, and all efforts to elaborate on the psychological warfare and espionage learned during his decade-long vision quest are abandoned in favour of MMA-style angry punch-ups.
this this this
Exactly what I have trouble liking, haven't been able to put it so precisely

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum