Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jonny Railways

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jonny Railways Empty Jonny Railways Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

So, remember some time ago when I mentioned I was building a model railway with my Dad? Well, I recently took some more photos and thought the time was right to show you all what we've done so far! Sorry if they're a bit blurry: they were taken using the magic of iPhone.

Here's the shed area and "little station" as it's informally known.

Jonny Railways IMG_0893

Jonny Railways IMG_0886

Here's the station halt (we're going to put some sort of platform near the wagons)

Jonny Railways IMG_0894

Some shots of the goods yard.

Jonny Railways IMG_0897

Jonny Railways IMG_0890

Jonny Railways IMG_0879

Jonny Railways IMG_0875

Jonny Railways IMG_0876

Our humble bus depot.

Jonny Railways IMG_0877

Some shots of the main station, with our T9 locomotive and Patriot class locomotive.

Jonny Railways IMG_0873

Jonny Railways IMG_0871-Copy

This is a Pullman coach with light-up table lamps. There's an electrical current running through the track: the metal wheels of the coach conduct it and light the lamps. They're quite lovely.

Jonny Railways IMG_0874

Our town and viaduct.

Jonny Railways IMG_0888

Jonny Railways IMG_0889

And finally, for AJ:

Jonny Railways IMG_0885

The Thomas ones are always ridiculously popular...

A bit of background information...we started this around April/May last year. It's set roughly in the late 20th Century but we're not really trying to be too historically accurate. It's operationally fun and that's what we want at this stage!

The main issues with a model railway, I think, are space, money and time. We're modelling in OO gauge which necessitates a pretty big area to do anything decent, and model railways as a rule are expensive. Locomotives vary in price but paying £100 for a locomotive isn't unusual. We generally get them a bit cheaper than that however.

Anyway, in terms of what we've actually done:

-Buy wood for the baseboard, cut it to shape and screw it into position. The board is supported by several strategically place legs and there's a sort of shelf along the far edges for it to rest on.

-Cover the baseboard in cork to aid smooth running.

-Plan the track. This took so long you cannot even imagine.

-Nail the track down. So many pins...

-Start ballasting the track. This involves scattering gravel between the sleepers and gluing it into position. You can buy stuff like foam underlay but this looks the most realistic. However, once you've glued it into position it makes lifting the track pretty difficult so you have to think long and hard before doing this.

That's everything we've done that's permanent...you've probably noticed the buildings on the layout. Most are out-the-box ones made of resin, but a couple are made of card and they're quite fun to make. And cheap, too, which is a bonus to say the least. In any case they're not glued down or fixed into position. The plan is to do so and put little LEDs in the windows!

We run a mix of different trains. We have some very recent diesel models (chronologically speaking) but also some stuff from the mid-20th century and even earlier. That green locomotive was built around the 1930s, I think. I have all the Thomas ones except for Gordon which will hopefully be a birthday present! It's not really a big thing, though: I'll get them but I'll happily have normal model railway stuff.

It's controlled by a fancy-shmancy system called DCC (or Digital Command Control). Essentially each locomotive is fitted with a little computer chip and this allows accurate control of them.

What are we doing next? Well, we're going to finish this ballasting, and then we'll be putting down the road. Then we'll most likely be laying the grass and doing some minor landscaping to make it a little more interesting. It's a big, time consuming job and we don't get as much time to work on it as we'd like. But it's a fun project and satisfying when everything works, which as a rule it does.

I hope this was a nice insight into a hobby that's quite dear to my heart. Watch this space for more progress.

2Jonny Railways Empty Re: Jonny Railways Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:31 pm

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Some inspiration for you, from my hometown:

[]

http://www.jttheninja.com

3Jonny Railways Empty Re: Jonny Railways Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 am

visionsofamber

visionsofamber

Excellent job.

Have you ever thought of building a model set inside of a train with a model set represented within the train within the set?

Because that would be spectacular.

4Jonny Railways Empty Re: Jonny Railways Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 am

Jonny

Jonny
Prince of the Squirtle Squad

If somewhat problematic.

Jonny Railways Model_rail

5Jonny Railways Empty Re: Jonny Railways Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Trainception....[]

6Jonny Railways Empty Re: Jonny Railways Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 am

Packie

Packie

I really ought to continue working on my own model railroad sometime...

7Jonny Railways Empty Re: Jonny Railways Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 am

JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja
Ninjafleet Captain

Possibly relevant:

[]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum